From:
Virginia Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 1995 17:43:00 EDT

I'm sorry this is late but I wanted to respond to Diane Dufault's question on
how biopsies are done today.  I had two done.  My doctors called it the "old"
and "new" way.  Six years ago I was awake for my first biopsy.  I had to
swallow a sack with a tube attached to it.  I was told that if I was given
medication it would slow the process of this sack reaching the spot that was
to be biopsied. Since it was not getting to the correct spot they had to work
with this tube by pulling it out slightly and then pushing it back in.
It took a total of three and a half hours with me gagging the entire time.

Within that same year I went to another doctor who did a challenge biopsy.  I
was put to sleep and an endoscopy was done.  It went very easy.

Talk to the doctor ahead of time to find out how he plans on doing it.  If he
does not plan on putting your child to sleep I would find another doctor who
does.

Good luck!

Ginny M.