Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:36:42 -0600

I had originally questioned the gf status of kernel paste as a baking ingredient and then posted a summary saying that no one had come up with a definitive response.

After I posted my summary, six women who are all obviously more experienced bakers than I am sent some additional information.  While the information was not absolutely definitive, it tends to indicate that kernel paste is not commonly or normally made with any flours.  I'm going to post those responses verbatim.  The bottom line seems to be that if you want to know absolutely if it's safe, the manufacturer has to be contacted but there is a high degree of likelihood that it's ok.:

Response #1:
Go to:http://americanalmond.com/Products/spec_passtes.htm
It is g/f . I am surprised you didn't do a search on it. It came up right away.  It comes from the pit of the apricot and tastes almondlike.

Response #2:
Sorry I did not see the original post.  I'm pretty sure that kernel paste is
made from apricot pits, or more accurately from the soft kernel that you
find when you crack the pits open.  I don't know if anything is added to the
kernel, though, to make the paste.  So this is not an answer to whether it's
gluten free, but a little information about the main source of this
ingredient.

Response #3:
I did a web search and it seems to refer to paste made from the kernels of
apricots (related to almonds).

Response #4:
Originally, apricot kernel paste was used as a substitute for marzipan.
Today, apricot kernel paste has established itself in its own right in many
recipes. Debittered apricot kernels, sugar and water are the ingredients
which give the paste its strong, fruity flavour.

Response #5:
I just did a quick google search and found the following definition on about four baking sites, including www.baking911.com/baking_terms_jkl.htm

Kernel Paste: A nut paste, similar to almond paste, made of apricot kernels and sugar.

There were other types of kernel pastes mentioned in recipies and ingredients (peanut, coconut), but the baking definitions seemed to be consistent with the above definition. It is a substitute for almond paste and marzipan.

Response #6:
I've purchased cookies with ground apricot kernels. The cookies taste similar to macaroons. Maybe that's what it is.

Thanks very much, listmates!!

Andy Thomson
Matteson, IL