From:
Nancy Veazey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Veazey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:08:52 -0400

Hi Everyone—Thank you to you all for the quick responses about GF coffee cakes and muffins.
Here is a summary—I have tried to send out several but keep getting refused because they are too long.
I will try to break up into several e-mails for you.  There are some terrific ideas and great sounding recipes so---enjoy!!
Thank you,
Nancy
I got many votes (probably 10) for Gluten free pantry mixes-coffee cake scones and muffin mixes.
You can do additives like blueberries, chocolate chips, nuts etc.  Their phone number is 800-291-8386.

1.Here is a no-fail very popular coffee cake - thanks to Sue Ulrich of the

Stark County Celiac Support Group - with credit to Allrecipes.com

 Honey Bun Cake

18.25 oz pkg yellow cake mix (GF of course)
3/4 c vegetable oil
5 eggs
8 oz sour cream
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Frosting

2 cup conf sugar

4 Tbsp milk

 1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, oil,

eggs, and sour cream. Stir by hand approximately 50 strokes or until most

large lumps are gone.  Pour half the
batter into an ungreased 9x13 glass

baking dish.

Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the batter in cake pan.

Spoon other half of the batter into the cake pan covering the brown sugar

and cinnamon.  Twirl the cake with a
butter knife until it looks like a

honey bun or whatever design you want to make.

Bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in

the center comes out clean. Frost while still fairly hot. Serve warm.

To make frosting: In small bowl, whisk together the conf sugar, milk and

vanilla until smooth.

2.The Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix is good.  I use it for muffins,
chocolate chip cookies, waffles, and pancakes.  It is quick and
easy.  You can add blueberries or whatever you enjoy. I am not one who
takes a lot of time baking, so I do like this simplicity.

3. Gluten Free Pantry has a very good coffee cake mix. If
you plan to bake a lot of them over time, you can order them in a case of 6 for
a great price through Amazon.com.

I make lots of muffins using my old recipes and substituting
Pamela's mix or Bobs Red Mill All Purpose GF flour for the wheat flour. With
Pamela's I leave out the recipe's baking powder and salt. With BRM I follow the
recipe exactly but add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. BRM works best in recipes with
added flavor (banana or chocolate) because it has beans in the mix.  In
general, I add a little extra flavor (cinnamon or vanilla) when baking with gf
flours to disguise any unusual taste and make up for the lack of wheat taste.
 The basic muffin recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook and in Joy of
Cooking work great with either Pamela's or Bobs.

4. The Craving Place brand has an excellent coffee cake mix. Can find on-

line.

5. GF Flour mix: 2 c brown
rice flour, 2 c white rice flour, 1 1/2 c sweet rice flour, 1 1/3 c tapioca
starch, 2/3 c cornstarch, 1/2 c rice bran and 2 tsp xanthan gum. Sift together
several times. I usually 4x this recipe and keep extra in the freezer. Works
well in all my old cookie & bar recipes - even rolled out sugar cookies.

Back to work after baby– how do you know when you’re ready?