From:
Elizabeth Inches <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:39:53 -0700

Hi, my name is Elizabeth. I think I may have celiac disease, and have
read much online about it, but want to share with you where I am now
with current health issues and ask anyone's opinion if it's worth a trip
to the gastro doc to check out the celiac stuff.

Here are my current medical conditions:
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Digenerative Disc Disease (back surgery 2/93 on L5-S1; herniated disc)
Hypothroidism
IBS
Lactose intolerance
Diverticulosis
Duodenal Ulcer
Reflux Esophogitis
TMJ
food/inhalent/chemical allergies
systemic candida
Stage IV (severe) endometriosis (laparascopy surgery 9/93)
SLE (systemic lupus)
nerve disease of the GI trac--seizure activity (endo & lupus related)

Here are my symptoms:

Under weight all my life and currently losing weight
Extreme fatigue & exhaustion
Severe clinical depression
Abdominal pain, bloating, distention, cramping, gas
Alternating diarrhea/constipation
Painful bowel movements
Immediate swelling & pain of abdomen after eating

Beginning in July 97, my allergist put me on a no sugar, no yeast, no
dairy, no fermented diet for one month to help with the allergies &
candida. I'm still basically doing that, except I have occasionally had
lactose free cheese & milk. So, I really didn't eat any wheat products
for that month. However, oats were totally okay, so I have been eating
lots of oatmeal and oatmeal pancakes.

In Aug 97, my gastro doc put me on a further restriction--no foods with
tyramine (amino acid). It's an excitatory transmittor that may
contribute to the seizure activity in the gut. He said to also consume
no caffein, which I don't anyway, and to eliminate wheat products or
anything that contains gluten. However, he said it was okay to eat oats,
which I'm still doing.

My question #1 is this: Since I've been gluten free for 2 months, but
not really since I still eat oats, will any tests done for GF be valid?

Question #2: I am currently seeing Dr. John Mathias in Houston Tx
(gastro). Does anyone know him or can anyone recommend a doctor in
Houston?

Question #3: Based on my symptoms, I think I may have celiac disease. Am
I missing the boat, or should I go ahead and have the biopsy done?

Each time I have been diagnosed with something, I'll think "Okay, now
you know what you are dealing with, you can follow the program, and
start to feel better." It hasn't happened yet. So, I keep looking for
possible other causes. It's a catch twenty-two. I don't want to have one
more thing wrong with me, but I also need to know if there is so I can
find the "cure."

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. You may email
me privately at   [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance
Elizabeth