From:
Matt Spolansky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Spolansky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:47:02 -0400

I received numerous responses and will summarize below:

" tempura batter is wheat.
Don't do the spicey rolls; they have wheat soy sauce.
Best bet:  sashimi (fish piece on top of rice).
Bring your own wheat-free soy sauce, but know that the
whole place has so much non-gf soy sauce around, as
well as tempura, etc, that you really can't have a
totally gf experience, even there."

"there is often wheat
found in wasabi paste (that's the Japanese green horseradish) and
also in some fish roe (eggs).  You would need to ask to read the
labels on these foods, to make sure there is no wheat."

"Seaweed is GF, and generally
sushi rice is GF (though you should ask what they make it with, just
to be sure)"

"Most crab stick has wheat in it.
Most green tea has wheat in it.
Most wasabi has wheat in it.
Tempura batter is made out of wheat.
The sauces are pretty-much all questionable."

"You might check the rice,
In a japanese grocery store my husband and I saw a sack of rice  that
stated on the packaging --" rice with cereal". We checked and found
that rice often has some flour added to make the rice stickier and
easier to eat with chopsticks and to hold its shape. This may only be
certain brands, perhaps the cheaper ones."

"OK to have-
fish
sushi rice (ask at every new place to be sure they do not use malt vinegar-
that would be rare, I think)
fresh veg (like cucs in rolls, diakon radish, eda mame, etc...) "

"The spicy red sauce called sriracha is gluten free.  Bring your own wheat
free
soy sauce.  Most other sauces like the hoison, teriyaki, and ponzu are not
gluten free so make sure they are not putting that on any rolls"

"I usually just ask if they can either make mine first or wear a fresh pair
of gloves, and avoid anything that has a sauce, and request no soy sauce or
wasabi (some american wasabi I believe is made with some gluten in
it...again, just something you may want to look into, I can't really vouch
for it), and I avoid the pickled ginger (i know there's some contention as
to if vineagar is OK or not, but I tend to react to it, so I avoid it). I
also usually try and go in early to beat the rush or try and make it plain
that I'm willing to wait, sushi takes time, and I'm happy to wait an extra
few minutes if it makes it easier for them to take a couple precautions
against cross-contamination (i.e. fresh gloves, etc.)"

"The spicy rolls check, some times they put in "crunchies" as they call them
in
my restaurant, which is deep fries small pieces of tempura, not all do this.
Tempura is a no good; it has wheat flour as the first ingredient.  You can
find gf tempura and ask them to use it or make it at home.  Eel is wonderful
just ask for NO sauce,
since it is a teriyaki they are putting on, I think it taste better without
the sauce. You cannot have imitation crab but you can have King Crab, they
will supplement it for you just an increase in price"