From:
Jeanne Orzechowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:03:17 EST

Thank you to all of you who responded to my recent post asking what digestive
enzymes do and if it helps.  Besides those of you who shared info, several
wrote that they had the same question and were awaiting my summary, so here
goes:

One person gave this excellent definition of enzymes:

"Enzymes are the chemicals that break down our food into a digestable and
absorbable form.  Commercially prepared enzymes generally contain lipase (for
fats), lactase (for milk sugar), protease (for protein), and amylase (for
colon).  (Also sometimes some bile).  Since the tips of the intestinal villi
(which are damaged by celiac disease) usually produce these substances,
people with CD often need help in this regard."  The person who sent this
said he uses Pancreatin 1200, made by Solgar, which helped clear up diarrhea.

One takes 2 capsules of Enzymedica Digest at the beginning of meals and found
he was able again to eat many foods he had become allergic to (not wheat, of
course). There is also Enzymedica Carbo, which has less protease that
sometimes causes burning in the stomach, and Enzymedica, which is protease in
an enteric capsule to bypass the stomach.

One takes cotazym ECS 20 to help digest fats.  Quite expensive.

I takes colostrum to help heal lining of GI tract.

Another said that enzymes most often recommended are papain and lactase.
They are found in SerenAid (along with 2 other enzymes).  Also said a book
called "Nurturing Traditions" is very helpful.  The author (didn't give name)
has done much research on enzymes and absorption, plus gives many recipes esp
soups which are usually digestible.  Also recommended Probiotics.

One takes digestive enzymes plus pancreatic enzymes.

One recommended Houston Nutraceuticals.

Another takes Vitamin Shoppe brand multi-enzymes with foods she thinks she
may have trouble with.  They reduce the amount of gas.  Also takes DGL
licorice supplements between meals and has stopped having attacks since
taking.

One recommended UltraPlan from HiHealth.  After being GF for 2 yrs, he was
still having excess acid, reflux, gas bloating.  This has helped more than
anything.  Just one tablet once a day with the large meal works for him.

Another says that they help w. food sensitivities, and the last one
recommended KAL's Pancreatin that helps when she takes 2 w. every meal.

Now the problem is which one to choose and where to find it, but thanks to
all who contributed!  Jeanne