From:
Sue Munn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 13:43:50 -0400

I received so many replies to my query about celiac and thyroid problems. I am posting a summary below for the list below.
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED WITH HELPFUL [log in to unmask]
************************************
My initial question/s:
Recent bloodwork revealed that I have a thyroid deficiency. Is this common
with others who have been diagnosed with celiac sprue? I was diagnosed with celiac sprue in 2003
and have been on a strict gluten free diet since then.  My doctor has recently prescribed .150 MG of synthroid daily.
Also, do any of you take B-12 injections or specific B-vitamin supplements?

***************************
SUMMARY REPLIES:
Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an auto-immune form of thyroid deficiency, is fairly common among celiacs.
It may take a bit of time to figure out the right thyroid dose, as your doctor probably told you.
Many people's bodies are very very sensitive to slight ups and downs in their thyroid levels,
so much so that if you become stabilized on Synthroid and then later switch to a generic
(probably Levoxyl), you may begin to feel "off." When I was dx I was told Synthroid and Levoxyl
are equivalent. Not true, as my current doctor informed me when
I complained of things being not quite right.
A good friend, who takes a much higher dosage than I do, had the same experience, except
that she felt much worse than I did when she was switched to Levoxyl. It can happen
because some medical plans will pay for that but not for Synthroid, though both are very
inexpensive drugs. I hasten to add that there is nothing inherently wrong with
 Levoxyl -- if that's the one on which you become stabilized, switching to Synthroid
would presumably cause problems.
****************************
I have both - celiac and hypothyroidism.  Once you get used to taking the daily pills, it's fine.  Just be sure
 to take it on an empty stomach - and don't eat for 30 to 60 minutes after.  I usually take it
the moment I wake up in the morning, and then shower, get ready, etc.  Then eat.
I do think having both is common.  They are both autoimmune diseases (provided you have Hasimotos
hypothyroidism).  You should check with your doc to find out what kind of hypothyroidism you have.
Here is a useful link.  http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/hashivshypo.htm
diagnosed in 2001.  Dr put me on a thyroid hormone last week.  Really surprised me
that the blood work showed I was low.  I do take B6 (once a wk) and B12
(everyday)vitamins
**************************
Yes but the thyroid went on the blink before I was diagnosed with celiac.  My immune system
attacked my thyroid to boot and my ankles became very swollen.  It was a disaster.
I am taking 88 MG. of synthroid but have been thinking I need to find a doctor that will put me on
Armour since my endocrynologist thinks Synthroid is better.  But I have hair loss and such
and I think the symptoms of hypothyrodism have not really been addressed although
the bloodwork is back to normal.
*************************************
I also have recently beign diagnosed with borderline thyroid after bloodwork and my Dr.
put me on synthroid daily but mine are only .25 mg.  I'm going back next wk. for follow up
 bloodwork to see if the synthroid is doing it's job.  Will be interesting to see if Dr.
increases the mg.of synthroid.  I don't feel any different than I did before I started taking them.
  I have also been on a strict gluten free diet since 1999.
 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 16 yrs ago and only was diagnosed with celiac 7 yrs. ago.
 I also have a tendency to have low B12 so my hubby or daughter give me an injection once a month.
This Celiac Disease that we have is awfully complicated.. It's just not about the Celiac.
It's all of the other Auto Immune Diseases and conditions that are associated!
 Yes, it is common.  I was first diagnosed with the thyroid (hashimotos) but was ill with the celiac
 at the same time.  I am on .088mg synthroid daily.  I do take both vitamin b12 supplements daily
and injections every 2 weeks from the doctor.  I did test about 10 years ago as being b12 deficient.
 I do take B-12 as I did have neuropathy.
It is common for a given person to have more than one autoimmune condition
and is common for thyroid disease and celiac sprue to co-occur.
Other conditions that are commonly found together with celiac and/or
thyroid disease are rheumatoid arthritis,
psoriasis, and lupus.  You can check out webmd or the Mayo Clinic web sites for information.
thyroid deficiency is a symptom of celiac disease. It is a symptom that means you are
still eating gluten. I found out the hard way. I was diagnosed in 1996 and I went on a
gluten free diet. I did not cheat but I had gluten accidents occasionally.
I found out through the years of not quite getting better that there is gluten in dairy,
 eggs and meat. All the animals are fed grains and it affects celiacs. My thyroid did not
get well until I stopped eating all these foods as well as salt.
diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 16 - one year after the type
 1 diabetes dx.  Yes, hypothyroidsm is also auto-immune and one of the
 conditions associated with celiac along with type1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
 I was dx'd with RA after the celiac in 2004.  I have been on synthyroid for for
34 years currently taking 100 mg.My B-12 levels were ok but my bone density was
low when I had my 1st bone density scan at 42.
You may want to go to www.gluten.net, click on Resources, then on Educational Materials and read
the publication on CD and Thyroid Conditions (Publication #14). The direct link to the publications
 page is: http://www.gluten.net/publications.php
Now that I eat only fruits and vegetables, I am finally well. The meat and eggs and dairy caused me
 to get arthritis and get warts and gain weight and itch and have RLS.
Please stay away from artificial thyroid. You will be on medication forever. Just get off the foods
that affect the thyroid.
Actually in my reading, several of the leading experts on celiac disease in the US (physicians),
say that there is a definite link.  There is a higher incidence of celiac
 disease among those with thyroid disease (hypo or hyper). The same in the type 1
 diabetic population. The reason--there may be some genetic similarity to these other auto
immune diseases and celiac disease.
Thyroid disease and CD are a very common pair-up. Go to www.theglutenfile.com
to see some articles about this. You will see the link on the right side of the page near the bottom.
I take 1000mg of oral methylcobalamin (b12) every day along with a handful of other vitamins.
Methyl B12 is ready to use by the body. Cyano B12 needs to be converted to the methyl state and not everyone
does this well. You can read more about B12 in The Gluten File.
 was diagnosed in 2004 with Celiac Disease, but have had it
much longer than that.  I am also a Type 1, insulin-dependent on an
insulin pump.  I was diagnosed with that when I was 15; I am now
53--that's 38 years! I, too, have been on Synthroid for
about 6 - 7 years now--50 mg daily.  My Internist tried to get me on 100
mg, but it raised my blood sugars too much to stay on that amount.