From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 03:55:00 -0700

I recently sent an email to Genisoy regarding product ingredients:

 > RE: Chocolate Soy Nuts
 >
 > Are any ingredients derived from grain, particularly wheat, rye,
 > barley and oats?

Their quick response was this:

"[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> :

You can read the ingredients on the label or view it on our website by
clicking on the ingredients of that products.  They are gluten free.
Attached is our  list of gluten free products.

DPatten
Consumer Affairs
That to me sounded a bit condescending...perhaps he/she was just tired of our questions.  We the consumer, cannot read the meaning behind their choice of words in the ingredient label.  So I wrote back:

"I appreciate knowing they are gluten free, but unfortunately, reading the label doesn't tell me that.  While the word "gluten", or "wheat, barley, rye, oats" are NOT on your label, the word vanilla "flavor" sends up a red flag to those of us who have Celiac Disease.  Flavorings often use starches from grains that are so damaging to us.  So until no words "hide"" behind other words, we must ask directly.  Thank you for your prompt answer."
*********
Well, a conversation back and forth was then prompted.  I learned that the company is in planning stages of new labels.  I requested of them that their health conscious company include the words "gluten free" as our lives depend on this simple phrase.  Finding an "indulgence" such as chocolate covered soy nuts is not just pleasing to our small world of foods, but also a healthier alternative to candy bars and the like.

In the end, please remember to ask these companies yourselves...take nothing for granted.  The new label law does not entirely address our concerns.  But then why wait for the laws to change again?   When they hear from us, some companies may just work for us.  Genisoy's website states: "In any disease prevention program diet is a vital ingredient."  It also asks for comments and thoughts...my life depends on being my own advocate for Celiac Disease awareness.  So I spoke.