From:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caulene Bussard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 15:05:32 -0500

I had 26 replies to my question if anyone had more colds after going
GF.

My question resulted in 4 other people saying that they have a similar
experience - more colds now than before.  But the majority have
written to
say that they have significantly less colds.  Some gave suggestions
which I
will include below.
=======================
Bovine Colostrum suggested to boost immune system.
------------------------------
Questions was asked - "are you eating more junk foods - even GF
foods that
have empty starches in them?"  (Good question - but I am eating
almost
none.)
--------------------
One suggested that when the  immune system is still  keyed up as a
response
to celiac disease, that we may get fewer colds.  Another suggested
that
celiacs usually have overactive immune systems.
____________
Grape Seed Extract suggested - it is a powerful antioxidant.
______________
Question asked if it could actually be allergies, rather than colds.
Could
be - though last year my allergies were so much better.
______________
Another suggested that perhaps our immune systems get tired - after
fighting
various things and require time to rejuvenate.
------------------------------
If it begins in the throat, take TheraBreath throat rinse and keep the
neck
covered.  Also Zicam homeopathic nasal gel recommended to prevent
and heal
colds faster.
---------------------------
Suggestion also given to be careful of dairy - can affect our immune
system
and cause allergy reactions
_______________________
Garlic suggested as an antiviral.
________________________
One stated that her colds are very infrequent since she began working
out 4
times a week.  When she doesn't do this, they return.
________________________
Another suggested taking Echinacea in tincture form.
___________________
Another has been better since taking less dairy, less refined carbs, no
soy
and also elderberry extract.
_______________________

Another in telling how they have fewer colds since GF adds that they
also
now have no dandruff or tooth plague.
_________
Another asks if I have experienced any new environmental change
which might
cause allergies or cold reactions?
______________
According to another:  Celiacs have an overactive immune system.
You don't
want to "up" it any more.

What happens when you take care of one medical problem then
others which
were sub-clinical come to the surface.  Rather than trying to short cut
them, ride them out so they can get out of your system.
=============

(1) My son has a problem with a very weak immune system.  Going GF
helped
only minimally.  Giving up sugar & milk, except for a little goat milk
kefir has helped, too.  (Cow's milk causes respiratory symptoms.)  But
the real icing on the cake that has enabled him to go through the
winter
with only minor respiratory problems is a product I found at our local
health food store.  It's called ImmunoLin and it's made by Schiff.  This
is a well known national brand.  I'm sure you could have any health
food
store that carries Schiff products order it for you or you could probably
find it on line.  It contains a blend of herbs, some vitamins and bovine
colostrum.

(2) All the major illnesses you've experienced plus the new stress of
the
rigors of the GF diet have likely damaged your adrenal glands.
Exhausted
adrenals will make you much more vulnerable to colds & flu.  You
might do
well with some adrenal support product designed to nurture the
adrenal
glands back to health.  I like Stress EZE made by Pheonix Nutritionals.
I'd like to recommend a very good book loaded with information you
won't
find anywhere else -- Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress
Syndrome
by Dr. Wilson.  I've gotten a lot of help conquering my chronic fatigue
from following the principles taught in this unique book.  (He has a
website.  Just search "adrenal fatigue.")
End of summary