From:
ALLISON QUIRING <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ALLISON QUIRING <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 12:37:28 -0700

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the responses I received to my question whether people noticed a change in their reaction to gluten exposure over time. I received probably 30 responses and almost all had noticed a definitely increase in sensitivity to gluten exposure after going GF and allowing their body to heal. The average “response time” to glutening seems to be about 2.5-3 hours though one person said they sometimes can’t even make it out of the restaurant. The body after recovery seems to reset itself in realizing it has an enemy, which it pretty much what I had assumed was the case.

The 2.5-3 hour response time correlated to my accidental eating of a non-GF pizza last fall (while I didn’t make a specific reference to it being accidental—a side affect of typing on an iPhone while being sick, one person felt compelled to say “shame on me” for cheating which I found thoroughly unhelpful to point of offensive). Some made reference to probiotics and digestive enzymes. I do use both, but while traveling I wasn’t using them nearly as judiciously as I do at home with my regular schedule.

I’ve now returned home to California and do believe my sickness while in Europe was caused by a stomach bug as my boyfriend got sick a couple of days later and I was keeping to a fairly “better safe than sorry” diet while in traveling. I was served a specifically GF meal at the wedding by a very attentive caterer and the host of our bed and breakfast (after being alerted by the bride) had provided me with 5 different types of GF prepackaged breads she found in the grocery store. As my very violent vomiting was only caused by ingestion of several slices of regular pizza I just don’t think I would have responded in the long-term manner I did in Europe by cross-contamination despite (though I do realize this indicative of MY celiac disease and could eventually change as time progresses).

Unfortunately the illness hung around (though thankfully in a more mild form) for several days, but it did affect my energy and comfort and what we were able to see especially after I started feeling normal and my boyfriend got sick at the tail end. We’ll just have to go back. ;)

Thanks again for the information & support!

Allison