Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 15:35:37 -0400

Thank you for your input!  This is very interesting!

************
http://www.enzymedica.com/products/GlutenEase

“Enzymedica GlutenEase™; supports people suffering with *gluten or casein
intolerance*. GlutenEase is not formulated to prevent celiac symptoms.”

From http://nancysplace.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/glutenease/

“GlutenEase isn’t something that’s been FDA approved, of course.  So anyone
taking it is taking it at their own risk.  The ingredients, although
identified and explained, are a mystery as far as long-term effects, etc.”

From http://www.cutcat.com/item.php?item_id=922&page=2&category_id=96

“This proactively supports the gut, allowing proteins to be properly broken
down and absorbed in their digested state. GlutenEase also has amylase and
glucoamylase for starches and sugars. Please note that GlutenEase is not
formulated to prevent symptoms of celiac disease.”

From
http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/glutenease/OU2ZIURTOMDLRUPDLS3AKH4SV3MC

“Speaking strictly as someone who has celiac disease, this product makes me
nervous.  It is apparently effective at eliminating symptoms such as
bloating and stomach upset that some people experience after they consume
gluten. But my research indicates that GlutenEase will not prevent the
intestinal damage and immune system response that occurs when a person who
has celiac disease ingests gluten. If the lack of symptoms leads people with
celiac disease to think that they're ok eating gluten, even though the
damage still occurs, then I have to call it a step in the wrong direction. I
know that people who are gluten intolerant have found this product to be
extremely helpful and it could be that they won't experience a celiac's
wider complications. As I said, I can only respond as someone with Celiac
Disease.

From
http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/glutenease/OU2ZIURTOMDLRUPDLS3AKH4SV3MC

Not intended to treat, diagnose, cure...

Being celiac, I was curious to check this out. I've watched friends swallow
a Lactaid before they eat ice cream and wondered whether there would ever be
an equivalent product for gluten.  My personal research indicates that
GlutenEase might assist in the digestion of gliadin peptides, and that some
celiac’s find it can relieve digestive symptoms if they accidentally ingest
gluten. It has not - repeat NOT - been proven to be effective enough to
allow a person with celiac to digest gluten. There is still no substitute
for a gluten free diet.
Repeat: There is still no substitute for a gluten free diet.  Yes, it would
be helpful to have something I could use to limit the damage if I
accidentally eat gluten, emphasis on "limit" because the real, long-term
intestinal damage is still going to occur. But GlutenEase is labeled and
advertised almost as a cure for celiac’s, which it most certainly is not.
 Read the label, do some research, learn what this is and what it isn't
before you take it.

From http://www.affordable-natural-supplements.com/36245.html

Enzymedica GlutenEase.; supports people suffering with gluten or casein
intolerance. GlutenEase is not formulated to prevent celiac symptoms.

***********

There is nothing on the market at this time to protect you from a gluten
exposure.  You will be wasting your money.
In fact the latest issue of the GIG quarterly has an extensive article about
the rip-off products on the market.
**************
There is a thorough discussion of this (untested, false, possibly
fraudulent, etc.) product, along with an appallingly laughable response from
a representative of Enzymedica on Sensible Celiac. The URL for the
discussion is:
http://sensibleceliac.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1187.0.html
If a person has celiac disease, unfortunately, the only "cure" is to stop
eating gluten. However, since the disease is so inconvenient, it's an
absolute gold mine for unscrupulous people trying to make a quick buck (or,
in this case, pile of bucks) exploiting - and possibly endangering -
children and adults.
***********************
There are some enzymes for sale.  A lot of them seem to be the same except
for the brand on the label.  I have not been able to find research to
substantiate any of them on the internet.  I tried one and got
glutened.Threw it away.
********************
I have a bottle and am unsure it has any benefit. I have only taken it when
eating out and I have gotten ill once anyway .
****************
NO! This product is not intended for Celiacs! Many of us have complained
about
it since it came on the market a few years ago. Even Dr. Peter Green
commented on it. Our Whole Foods in CA have taken it off their shelves. It
is simply a digestive aid, it will not protect a Celiac from the Gliadin
protein molecule. Thus, it is especially dangerous for a silent Celiac who
might be lulled into a false sense of security. I was at the Celiac Disease
Foundation Educational Conference this past weekend. The Rock Stars of
Celiac research were there. They spoke about the current research and they
said there are 3 clinical trials with 3 different approaches underway right
now. But a pill is still YEARS away. Please don't be fooled. The enzyme type
research is being done by Alvin labs. You might check their web site for
more information.
*************
Nope- I would NOT use this!  Their claims have not been researched- nor
evaluated by the FDA and are not meant to help Celiacs.
**********
Any product marketed to relieve an illness MUST be approved by the FDA.
This product has not been.  Celiac is not a disease of enzyme absence and
adding an enzyme will not help it.  Many posts like yours have appeared here
over the past couple of years and no-one has ever reported back that they
were helped by this product.  Maybe someday there'll be something like this
for us, but not yet.
************
Yes, I did get some.  It didn't seem to do any good and then I read in
several authorative  source - sorry can't remember them - that it
emphatically doesn't protect or help.
**************
If you get accidental gluten ingestion, you don't need help digesting it.
I'm not sure if glutenease helps with digestion, but when a person with CD
eats any amount of gluten *the immune system* sets off alarms that put it
into a "fight" mode.  This constant mode of fight is very bad long term and
begins the process of damage to the lining of the small intestine.  Thus the
reason for diligent avoidance of gluten.
The presence of these types of products has the potential to encourage
celiacs to relax their scrutiny of foods to be eaten and just "take a
chance".  Usually accidental ingestion of gluten is unknown at the time,  if
all the right questions are asked before eating the foods.  It has nothing
to do with not being able to digest gluten but with damage to the
intestion and there is currently nothing that will prevent the immune
reaction. Dr. Fasano at The Univ. of Baltimore is doing research on a
vaccine for celiacs but it is far from being ready for use.
**********
I use this on occation, only for reasons you listed.  (keep it in my purse)
I'm celiac as well as my kids, it help us all, when we just weren't sure.
Really only needed it maybe twice in the last year and it really does the
trick.  I'm highly sensitive and will have severe reactions, this has cut it
way down almost to nothing, definitly tolerable.  I believe it's well worth
the money, especially when you're on vacations, who wants to be sick
then. It's meant to cover the protein so the body can't even absorb it (or
try to absorb) so the damage can't accure, just be aware it can't get all
the protein, but what it does get it helps.
**********
Yes - I have been using gluten ease for me and my son for over a year now.
I was quite ill with celiac in 2008 and I credit enzymes with my recovery.
Enzymedica is the best brand as far as digestive enzymes goes.  I use many
of their enzymes - Digest Gold with every meal, Virastop, glutenease (when I
eat out), and Candidase for yeast overgrowth.  The Glutenease won't help
with major cross-contamination but it should help with tiny amounts as well
as helping in the healing process after an accidental ingestion.
*******
This product is fab we will be having it on our website GlutenFreePalace.com
shortly for a great price. Ive been using it for 3 years now occasionally
only, it is great when using it for food u don't eat at home
*********
I keep it handy for when I think I may have ingested gluten by accident.  I
think it works really well!  But I wouldn't purposely do this all the time.