Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 22:43:29 -0400

Hi Leslie and other list members,

 Leslie said:
 "Moral of the story- don't keep CD a secret- spread the word, inform those
 around you, tell them about this list and the support groups and vendors that
 are available to us. I can't tell you the relief on these faces when they
 realize they are not alone. I think it's coming closer to a time where CD may
 be the "in disease", not that I wish it on anyone, but gosh how many people
 can be saved a great deal of suffereing and isolation!"

 Just thought I'd add to "Interesting Celiac Connections".  I met an old
friend at a party last year -- we hadn't spoken since pre GF days.  We had
been quite close at one time, but had never had a reason to discuss GI
problems!.  He commented on my weight loss and I mentioned CD.  Being used to
others total lack of knowledge of CD, I was amazed that this friend knew what
I was talking about.  It seems he was very sick as an infant (1940's), was
diagnosed with CD, had never met anyone else with this problem, he informed
me he had "grown out of it" and never heard the word celiac in years.  This
friend is not underweight, so he doesn't fit the picture most physicians have
of CD.  He does display some of the other symptoms -- he is quite short, has
been treated for depression for many years...  I told him CD doesn't go away
and if he had it then, he has it for life, I told him ( and urged his
girlfriend to persue this) to consult a doctor -- I sent him info about this
list.

 There are many people out there who think they outgrew a childhood problem.

 Pauline
 Alameda, CA