From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:56:26 EDT

it is an iffy.....on many no-no lists....put it in the compost
+++++++++++++++
Use them in Mock Oatmeal Cookies with lots of sugar and cinnamon!
+++++++++++++++
All dry cereals are that way.  That's why eat Pocono's Cream of Buckwheat
every day.  It is also sugar free as I am a T-1 diabetic.  I love it !
+++++++++++++++
I would try use them as a kind of replacer for oatmeal as oatmeal cookies,
etc...
+++++++++++++++
That is so funny! I bought some, ohhh about 3 years ago and they are still
sitting on my shelf. I was upset when I got them because I thought they would
be like cereal flakes but you are right they taste terrible. The only thing I
have thought about doing with them is grinding them up and using them in
something. I never did try it though- let me know if you come up with a good
use for them.
++++++++++++++
My dogs liked them in beef broth.
++++++++++++++
What about crunching them up to be used as bread crumbs?  Maybe they could be
used as part of a crunchy pie crust.   Good luck, M.
++++++++++++++
They are no different here in Australia, my reaction was just the same.  I
have found a use for them by grinding them and using the crumbs as you would
bread crumbs when coating schnitzels etc.
+++++++++++++++
I roll cereal with a rolling pin to use as bread crumbs.
++++++++++++++
Breading for fish etc?
++++++++++++++
lots of pure cane sugar sprinkled on them with fresh organic raisins.  I
know, not the healthiest with all that sugar but makes them taste edible.  I
guess you could use them for any recipe calling for cereal flakes too.
++++++++++++++
double check the label on them...the box of the ones I always buy tonight had
replaced the gluten free label with wheat free.  Suspicious I checked, and
they have rye flour in them now.  I think the brand was arrowhead, but not
positive on that.  Guess more reason to always read labels. (checked says
amaranth and tapioca starch - also says gluten free)
++++++++++++++
My mother grinds them up and uses them in her pancake batter.  She also uses
potato milk, rice flour, and rice polish as the main ingrediants...the
Amaranth flakes make them taste much better.  Let me know if you want the
recipe.
+++++++++++++++
I thought amaranth was not a safe food.  ?    Anyway, any cereal can be used
as breading and filler.    Crush them in your food processor to make crumbs,
which can be used as filler in meatloaf, as breading on chicken,
chicken-fried steak, pork chops, etc.  Mix with sugar and butter to make a
moist mix to line a pie pan to use as the crust for a pie or cheesecake, or
for any recipe requiring bread crumbs.
++++++++++++++++
 Start by crushing them.  Mix with spices to bread chicken or pork for baking
or frying.  Use in meatloaf.      Use them in salads.
Could you grind them in a food processor and use as filling for meatloaf or
coating for fried foods (you could add salt,pepper and other spice to flavor
them.? Or perhaps they could be used in baking, I believe the Bette's
cookbooks have recipes which call for GFcereals. Good luck.
 My husband crushes up flakes and uses them as a coating for homemade chicken
strips and fried chicken.  Season the crumbs a bit, coat the chicken with egg
and then the crumbs.  It's really quite tasty.  Amy in Mpls.