Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:09:13 -0400

Hi all,

We got the genetic results back on my husband and son, and now I'm
somewhat confused. Both are double-gened for gluten sensitivity, though
neither have the main genes predisposing to celiac. In the end, what
does this mean, in terms of health manifestations, etc?

The actual wording on the test result, for both:
 >>*/Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing:  /*Although you do not possess
the main genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8), HLA
gene analysis reveals that you have two copies of a gene that
predisposes to gluten sensitivity (DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8). Having two
copies of a gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and
all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy
of the gene. Two copies also means there is an even stronger
predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the
resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe.<<

I guess my question is, "the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity
may be more severe" HOW, exactly? How does this manifest itself? They
could have intestinal damage still, or they wouldn't, because they don't
have the celiac genes? They are at risk for autoimmune disorders,
especially with being double gened, or they aren't? Is there a clear
line between celiac and gluten sensitivity or intolerance?

Thanks for any light you can shed --
Deb