From:
Heather Cline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:59:02 EST

Thanks to everyone for responding to my request for homemade sausage recipes.
I know I can always count on you guys!

SAUSAGE MIX

     24  oz  salt
     5   oz  pepper (black)
     2   oz  nutmeg
     1   oz  sage

Use 1 ounce of  Sausage Mix for each 3  pounds of ground pork.

***

Chicken Sausage

1/2 lb. ground chicken (or substitute ground turkey)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. dried, crushed sage
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
    Combine chicken, salt, pepper, sage, and red pepper flakes in bowl.  Mix
gently. Cover and chill 1 hour for flavors to blend. Shape into 4 small
patties.
    Heat oil in medium skillet. Add patties and cook on both sides until done,
2
or 3 min. per side. Serve immediately.

***

We found the following recipe in the book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat
Curing"  by Rytek Kutas.

Fresh Pork Breakfast Sausage  (Page 172)

5 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp ground white pepper
2 Tbsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ginger
1 Tbsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp thyme
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 pint Ice water
10 lbs of ground meat

***
15 lbs pork butt - course ground (not fine ground like hamburger)
2 ounces salt (my dad used the cooking salt - "saltier" than regular table
salt)
1 ounce course ground black pepper
1 ounce paprika powder
1 ounce red pepper (the hot pepper flakes)

Mix all ingredients together.  A little water may need to be added to help
distribute the ingredients - not more then 4 ounces or so.  Use your hands
like youre kneading bread to ensure all ingredients are mixed and well
distributed.  My dad always mixed the ingredients at night, let it sit
overnight, refrigerated, to allow the seasonings to permeate the mixture.
Then, stuffed the casings in the morning.  By the way, we use the salted
casings.  Just estimate the quantity that you'll need (I know it's hard to
do the first time you're making it!) and let them soak a little while in
water - they need to be soft and flexible.  When you feel they're ready,
open one end under running water and let the water flow through.  Dad
seemed to feel that this helped to further "clean out" the casings.
Anyway, one thing it does is to let you know if there are any holes.  If
you find one, you can just cut that casing there and have a shorter length
of sausage.  I hope you have the stuffer attachment on your meat grinder!

***
We have made delicious homemade pork sausage patties using fresh ground
pork, fresh garlic, black pepper, and ground sage.  Refrigerate the
mixture overnight to "age" before cooking.  All ingredients are "to
taste" (i.e., no measured amounts provided).

***
I use "ordinary" sausage recipes with GF bread and add an
egg or two (depending on how much mix I make) as
appropriate to stick it all together.

***
Italian Sausage:  5 lb coarse ground pork, 1 1/3 T salt, 1 1;3 T ground
coriander, 1 t ground black pepper, 5 cloves pressed garlic, 2 T paprika, 1 c
cold water.  Combine all ingredients.  Add 2 t. crushed red pepper for HOT
sausage. Mix well, stuff into hog casings or make patties.  I left as bulk
sausage for use in sauce and pizza.

Italian Sausage 2:  2 t salt, 1 t black pepper, 4 t fennel seeds, 4 t oregano,
1 t. garlic powder, 8 lb ground pork shoulder. Cut the pork into 1.5 inch
cubes. Sprinkle meat with the seasonings and mix to distribute.Grind together.
Shape into patties or stuff into hog casings.

Bratwurst:  1/5 lb lean pork butt, cubed, 1 lb veal cubed, 0.5 lb pork fat,
cubed, 1/4 t ground allspice, 0.5 t dried marjoram, 1 t fresh ground white
pepper, 1 t salt, or to taste.  Grind the pork, veal and pork fat separately
thought the fine blade of the grinder.  Mix the meats and grind again.  Add
the remaining ingredients to the meat mixture and mix thoroughly.  Stuff the
mixture into casings.  Fills 3 feet.  Refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze.

Kielbasa:  12-15 lbs lean pork butt, 5 lbs lean ground beef, 1 lb veal, 1 T
garlic salt, 1 t black pepper, 1-2 T salt, l head garlic cloves, 1 quart
water, paprika (sprinkle).  Grind all meat together with meat grinder using a
large hole setting.  Crush garlic and mix with other seasonings into ground
meats.  Knead together thoroughly.  Knead in the water slowly until all is
absorbed.  Stuff into prepared casings.  Prick casings liberally to let air
escape before placing in oven to bake, 325 F for 1 hour.

Pork Sausage:  4 lb lean ground pork, 2 lb ground pork fat, 1 T salt, 2 t
pepper, 2 t cayenne pepper, 2 large onions, chopped fine, 6 cloves garlic,
minced. Sausage casings, scalded.  Combine all ingredients, except casings,
mix well.  Fill sausage casings.  Makes about 6 lb of sausage.

(Note:  T is tablespoons, t is teaspoons)

Other sources:

"Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing"  by Rytek Kutas
"Joy of Cooking"  (1964)
"American Charcuterie" by Victoria Wise (pg. 75 on)
"Home Sausage Making" by Charles G. Reavis (a Garden Way Publishing Classic)
"Gluten -Free Cookery" by Perter Thomson
"Hot Links and Country Flavors" by Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly

ALSO:  You can order all kinds of sausage seasonings (GF) from Penzeys Spices
and Seasonings in Wisconsin at telephone number:  414-679-7207