From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 1995 13:54:28 EDT

 Colin Murray <[log in to unmask]>, in replying to an  America On Line
subscriber who is thinking of leaving our Celiac list if there is an AOL local
forum, said:

>Please, those of you considering using a local US based service - the
>advantage of you remaining on this list server is that we in the UK and
>elsewhere in the world can communicate with you. Go local and we won't
>know what you are asking/saying/posting. :-((((((

As one of your listowners, I am of course biased, but I would like to add that
together we are becoming a major force. As a collection of over 520 celiacs
from 15 countries with nearly instant access to each other, we represent a very
potent group for many possible purposes -
 -- encouraging food companies to properly label their food, and to use GF
components
 -- assisting researchers in finding subjects for their celiac studies
 -- disseminating information on lobbying for food laws, new research, etc.

In the United States, it is unfortunate that there is no single celiac society
with the great bulk of all celiacs as members.  The splintering into several
groups has reduced everyone's influence.  I hope that this type of splintering
does not occur 'on-line'.

Bill Elkus