Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:32:17 -0600

I thought my house was totally gluten-free until I started reading the
labels on pet food.  It turns out that most prepared cat and dog foods--both
canned and dry--contain wheat products.  Moreover, many of them (especially
the "meaty" canned products) contain concentrated wheat gluten.  Any celiac
with a pet needs to be aware of this possible source of cross-contamination.
 Make sure to carefully wash hands, spoons, and countertops after handling
pet foods, and watch out for kibble crumbs.  (Same goes for hamster, mouse,
guinea pig and gerbil food).

John Shaw <[log in to unmask]> Milwaukee Wisconsin USA