Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:16:14 -0500

Las Fajitas on 5th street near market.  They are WONDERFUL!  The waiter was AMAZING!  They use a wheat free soy sauce to flavor their fajitas, and he and the chef figured out some VERY MINOR adjustments to the recipe and we had the BEST fajitas I've had in a long time.  I can not say enough about how easy they were to deal with, so understanding, and perfectly willing to make multiple trips to the kitchen to make sure everything came out right.  (I had a CSA card with me on GF/CF eating, and the waiter read it over and said no problem.)  He even brought out one label for us to read just to make sure it was going to be okay as he was a tiny bit nervous about it.  (It was the soy sauce, which we had told him is frequently a problem.)
The Mongolian Grill at Horton Plaza.  (I think the exact name is Great Khan's but I could be wrong.)  We went twice, and I asked both times when I ordered if they could clean the grill before cooking our food, and make sure no soy sauce of noodles went anywhere near our food.  Unfortunately both times there were minor problems.  The first time they forgot to clean the grill and we noticed after the food was already on it, the second time they cleaned the grill beautifully, used water to start cooking the food, and out of habit reached for the soy sauce to add moisture before I could scream out and stop them.  (Which would have been embarrassing anyway.)  Each time I asked the girl by the cash register if she could check on our food, I was concerned there had been a problem.  Each time the cook realized his mistake, and we were given a fresh bowl to refill -- the grill was cleaned and our food was cooked before the people in line after us.  They were WONDERFUL about setting things right, never asked "what harm will it do" or anything like that.  So, I highly recommend this one, with a note to keep an eye on your food just to be safe.
Chili's.  We went to two different chili's, and got Mushroom Jack Fajitas both times.  (We are casein free as well as gluten free, so minus the jack, sour cream, and cheese.)  They had corn tortillas instead of the flour ones, and we asked they not use soy sauce to make it sizzle.  That is a "secret" ingredient chili's adds right before bringing the fajitas out to make them sizzle for show.  It is a soy sauce and oil mixture.  I'm told some locations have switched to a wheat free la choy soy sauce as they are aware the wheat is a problem, but not all have.  And the la choy brand has lactic acid, which I find I have a casein reaction to.  (My understanding is the
casein is hard to separate from Lactic Acid and Lactose... but my understanding is shaky at best.)  The first Chili's did great by us, unfortunately the chef at the second chilis decided to use the soy sauce oil for the onions, and we had a gluten reaction afterwards. :(  The waiter told
us that the chef had used "sizzling oil" on the onions, but I was very tired that night and did understand his meaning until I got sick.  :(  I believe if I had understood and complained they would have recooked our food.  :(  A disappointment, through and through: NO NO NOTio Leos, in Mira Mesa.  Before being diagnosed with Celiac I lived in San Diego, and I LOVED Tio Leo's.  We made a point of going ~Kay Kellam   End of CELIAC Digest - 28 Jul 2003 to 29 Jul 2003 -

Adams Avenue Grill
http://www.adamsavenuegrill.com/index.htm

Support group in San Diego @ www.glutenfreeinsd.com.  This link contains restaurants and other information.
Persian restaurant called Sadaf at 828 5th Ave in downtown San Diego. I took some of my gluten free group there the evening before our cruise departed last March. It has many natural gluten free choices and is a delicious and different dining experience.
Another place you can try for quick inexpensive dining that is really fun, again downtown, is the Horton Plaza. It has lots of fun choices that are fast food style on the open air, upper level of the Mall, we seemed to find lots we could eat, although none said "gluten free" but were fine.
 P.F. Changs in Fashion Valley Mall
Outback Steakhouse

http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=ewK0LjP7E&b=34744

http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=ewK0LjP7E&b=34737

 La Fiesta, 628 Fifth St, in the Gaslamp District...
My worst experience was at SeaWorld, but if you let them know in advance if you're coming, you'll be fine. My best experience was in the tree house restaurant at the zoo. I think it's called Albert's. Again, if you're going to any major attraction, if you go to their website and contact them in advance, they'll be very helpful.

Lorraine in Massachusetts