From:
Will Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 1995 21:40:37 -0700

> My sister-in-law is gluten-intolerant, and follows a fairly careful GF
> diet.  She has noticed several times that her digestive symptoms quickly
> worsen when she is at high altitude.  We live in Colorado Springs at an
> altitude of ~6000 feet, and when she stays in the mountains (even for
> only a day or two) at altitudes around 8000 to 10000 feet, she has more
> frequent diarrhea and digestive discomfort.
>
> Anyone else experience a similar reaction to altitude?  Denise is really
> wondering whether this reaction is unique or shared by others.

As a backpacker, I recognize these as symptoms of what we affectionately
call "the mountain hag."  A small volume of gas in the intestine, at high
altitude, takes up considerably greater volume.  Thus someone who is
constantly eating foods that produce low amounts of gas (beans,
perhaps, or heavy fruit meals) will experience considerable distress
at higher altitudes.  The higher you go, the worse it gets.  Four
bananas eaten at one sitting at sea level might produce some mild runs and
annoying rumbling and gas.  At high altitude, it will bring you to your knees.

The solution is pretty straightforward: avoid foods at high altitude
that you know produce gas.  Try to eat lots of smaller meals rather
than a few large ones.  Particularly with things like fruit, don't eat
more at one sitting than you can digest completely.  Try to do most of your
carbo loading at dinner, when you are going to be resting and you can
give the food a chance to digest.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: [log in to unmask]