From:
"Marne L. Platt, VMD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:03:26 -0500

There have been a few posts lately about GF dig foods, and references to
what I believe were 3 studies on a gluten-sens. enteropathy in a small
population of Irish Setters. Just a couple of comments, as this my field of
expertise:
        First, please don't equate what we have to the food allergies
suffered by a small percentage (*Very* small) of dogs (and incidentally, an
even smaller percentage of cats). While some pets do reflect food allergies
in GI signs, more show prolonged intense pruritis, Without the classic DH
lesions. The diseases have not been founf to be equivalent. If you need to
change your pet's food for your own health, that's one thing, but please
don't anthropomorphise.
        Alos, please choose a food carefully-there are many foods being
produced for the specialty markets, organic, vegetarian, etc. etc., and
there are of varying qualities. i have seen nutritional deficiencies in
pets on thwse diets that we have not seen in years on the :"mainstream"
diets, because those diets are balanced in all necessary nutrients for pets
(thiese are Very different from our neds)
Finally, a personal peeve-for years we used lamb and rice or chicken and
rice diets to treat food allergy in pets. However, with the availability of
these foods now, I see more patients that are allergiv to beef, chicken,
and lamb-I am limited to (very$$) diets based on fish/potatoes, duck,
venison. *PLEASE* do not change foods lightly-ask a veterinarian for some
input-that is our profession, and our field of expertise.
Sorryif this really doesn't belong here, as except for the contact
cross-contam issue it really isn't a human pronblem, but as a doctor I take
my profession, and my oath, very seriosly. I had to speak up. Thanks to all
on the list who help me get through my very hungry days with humor and
tasty alternatives.-MArne  (VMD means Very Much a Doctor!) Platt, VMD in
New Jersey, usa

The impossible is merely that which has not yet been accomplished!