From:
Phil Sheard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:59:54 +0000

Hi all, In the recent discussion on small amounts of gluten, Ron Hoggan
indicated that he was unsure how much was represented by a milligram. It
occurred to me that this was a good question, since few of us deal with
such small amounts on a regular basis. To contribute to this issue, I have
weighed a number of small objects to give you some sense of perspective on
these small amounts. Remember, in that discussion, 100mg of gluten per day
was quoted as the smallest amount producing a detectable response. For you
non-metric people, one pound is equal to about 454grams. If you wish to be
more precise, and to put this into milligrams, a pound is 453592mg! 1 gram
is 1000mg.
1 American 1 cent coin weighed 2492mg
1 M&M candy weighed 895mg
1 grain of white rice, uncooked, weighed 20mg (long and short grain weighed
about the same)
1 California raisin weighed 418mg
1 kernel of popping corn weighed 217mg
Hope you find this helpful