From:
Bill Boelema <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 15:02:29 -0400

Hello all,

(An introductory/explanatory part above, questions below.)

I for some time have not felt very well; however, in some ways I did not
know much difference (i.e., some ways I didn't know it wasn't normal to
feel that way). I've been a grad student about 4 years; and during
the first two years things really got worse.  I went clinic twice during
the first two years for abdoninal trouble (I was particularly worried
about a relapse of abdomincal abscesses which they never found  the cause
for a few years before, which may have biased the visits).  Once the
doctor said stress, and gave me something to inhibit acid production,
which did no good; and the other time the doctor said to avoid complex
foods like milk, which I did, switching to eating lots of hot cereals,
especially Malt-O-Meal.

That began an approximately two-year period where my life where my life
was at a standstill; because some ingredient predominant in M-O-M is one
of the things I am most highly reactive to.  Finally, last fall I realized
this might not be all in  my head, went to a doctor again, trying to
explain all the symptoms, mental and  physical.  The doctor (different
doc, different clinic) mentioned, among other things, gluten allergy and
Crohn's disease.  Since then I have slowly been able to weed out the foods
that  cause  reactions.  At first I was confused because I seemed to  have
symptoms of celiac disease/gluten allergy, nearly all of them, but I lost
most of my symptoms after quitting M-O-M but could eat many wheat products
with noticing  nothing.  Turns out, after lucky (or unlucky, considering
the reaction) I am highly reactive to barley - and from what I've read, it
seems to cause worse symtoms than for the average who consumes grain (and
barley is widespread - not only are cereals like  Malt-O-Meal and
Grape-Nuts have barley as a primary ingredient, but most cereals contain
malted barley).  I since have recognized small versions of that reaction
when I consume rice  and corn, but not yet wheat.  Also, reactions to
other foods (which I won't go into here, but the list  is  long, and
reactions varied and somewhat unusual - I have read comprable reactions
elsewhere)

I was supposed to have endoscopy early this year, cancelled because the
stuff I was supposed to take the night before  did not work right, and
since have had to delay because of complications in changing medical
coverage.

My questions are a couple-fold.  Does anyone know if there is a link
between Crohn's disease  and celiac disease/gluten allergy, i.e. perhaps a
genetic factor that may predispose for both?   It seems, based on symptoms
coming/going according to diet changes, that I have both, and Crohn's will
explain abscess I had years ago.  Also, is it common for the celiac to
have more severe direct reactions to some grains than  others?

sincerely,

Bill Boelema