From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:04:45 -0400

Dear List:
My son, 31, is currently participating in a research study at the New
York State Psychiatric Institute, located at Columbia-Presbyterian
Medical Center in New York City.  To our astonishment they allowed him
to participate even though he is on a strictly gluten-free diet, and
they respect the diet 100%.  He has not been ill one day since he is
there, and he eats everything they serve him, i.e., he is properly
nourished.  (He is very conscientious about the diet, and would
definitely notice any deviation.)

This program is open to people ages 18 - 60.  It is entirely voluntary,
and free, since it is a research program.  So far we are very impressed
with the quality of everyone in the unit, from the nursing staff (many
of whom have been there since the unit was founded ten years ago) on up.

If you would like more information:  Telephone Claudine Cangiano,
Screening Coordinator (212) 543-5418.  Or write: The Schizophrenia
Research Unit/NYState Psychiatric Institute, Unit #2/1051 Riverside
Drive/NY, NY 10032.  e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Nancy in nyc