From:
"Aimee M. Bittinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:59:46 -0800

Here is a summary of the responses I recieved regarding corn and rice gluten.
The basic idea is that it is OK, because it is a different kind of gluten.  Yet
some people are sensituve to this gluten as well.  Read on for more...

Corn and rice do not have the kind of gluten that we can't eat. The word
is used to describe the sticky "glue" that the excess starch in them
produces when you cook them. The gluten in wheat, barley, rye (and
possibly oats) is a protein and is what we cannot eat.

-Anne Washburn

"Gluten" can be misused as a generic term to designate "protein".  Corn
protein is traded as corn gluten. (I don't think I have seen the term rice
gluten however.)  Actually celiacs are not actually gluten intolerant but
rather intolerant to "gliadin" (and also another, I believe), a specific
protein chain found in wheat.  Those in rye, barley & possible oats have
different names for the specific celiac causing protein chain found in them.
The CSA/USA chapter handbook has an interesting chapter about it in their new
handbook. It also mentions the virus which has a protein sequence similar to
the offending one found in gliadin. Very interesting, often confusing.
Bev in Milwaukee

The problem is the meaning of "gluten" which is a very imprecise term.  In
wheat, gluten is general term for the proteins which include gliadin and
glutenin, the problem proteins for celiacs.  Corn and rice don't contain
either of these proteins.  You can get more info on this by searching the
expert posts at the list page:
http://rdz.acor.org/lists/celiac/index.html#expert
Laura

Some celiacs (I am one of them) are intolerant of the gluten in rice and corn;
I am fine with rice, actually, but found out through some sophisticated
allergy testing that I am severely intolerant of corn GLUTEN, not corn itself.
This means anything with corn in it is off-limits for me, since gluten is in
all corn products. You don't see much about this on the list, oddly enough.
The "company line" by the celiac organizations is that corn and rice are fine
for celiacs; this is not always true. I think your body will tell you the
answer to this question. More than likely you will be able to eat these types
of gluten. You will probably get alot of mail telling you that alot of celiacs
are also allergic to several other foods (soy, eggs and dairy being foremost)
but I think the question you raised is in a different category. There is an
excellent allergy test that gives you the definitive answer on this with one
vial of blood; it is called the IgG4 Antibody Food Allergy Panel 90. You have
to find a doctor who is willing to do the test for you. It is very inexpensive
and will tell you how your body reacts to 90-95 foods.
JGottl

You should have been told by your doctor or nutritionist, that it
is the small molecule in the gluten of wheat, oats, barley, and rye called
gliadin that causes celiac problems.  Other grains have other glutens that
do not contain gliadin.  That means that corn and rice gluten are not
problems for celiacs.  Gayle K

I had a horrible doctor so I wasn't! Thanks!

The term gluten is used by Celiacs as a catch all phrase that is not quite
accurate. When questioning product mfg's one is better to ask if ' the
product contains wheat, rye barley , oats, triticale or any thing derived
from them..
Dan

Corn gluten and rice gluten only sound scarey!!!!
They are fine!  Eat and enjoy!
?????

Corn contains "gluten", but it is not the same protein as in wheat, oats, rye
and barley.  "Glutinous rice" does not contain gluten (different animal).
-i think she means plant
Unless you are otherwise sensitive to corn or rice, you won't need to worry
about these ingredients.  :-)
Terry Bradley

Aimee - Corn and rice gluten are OK for us to eat.  It's the gliadin
fraction of the protein (called gluten) in wheat, rye, oats (oats now may be
OK except for contamination) and barley that are toxic to us.  No need to
avoid rice and corn gluten.
diane

There may be more responces and feel free to reply if there is something
inadequate here.  Thanks to all who replied

-Aimee Bittinger