From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:24:31 -0500

info for newbies

I am a Professor of Speech and Drama for 32 years.  We have to be able to "go on" whatever the problem.  Actors and professional speakers have "tricks" to deal with allergies...drug free.  Remember the Smothers Brothers?  they were in a Broadway play and got a severe allergy ...hayfever like...attack.  They went to my md and he treated them with the following.  The went from no voice one day to performing the next.

The trick is you must rinse out your sinuses...not with a prescription nasal spray which doesn't work and is addictive.  Rather, use a saline nasal spray.  I recommend SIMPLY SALINE.   Spray 3x in each nostril, then blow. Repeat 3 times and then gargle with a half teaspoon salt in 8 oz water.  Repeat every 15 min for 2 hours.  By this time your sinuses should be washed out and mucous gone.  Then do it every half hour, every hour etc.  When you feel  dripping or tickling down your throat, it's time to do it again.

Next, you want to divert the mucous to go down your stomach rather than let it drip  over larynx to give you laryngitis or down to your lungs and give you bronchitis.  Two things work...keep something in your mouth to make saliva and flush it away.  ANY hard candy will do. Peppermints seem to work better than cough drops. The only cough drop that I've found that works in Riccola Yellow. Qyite honestly, I find most cough drops just taste horrible and make me sick to my stomach.  Something to suck on works just as well.

A last trick is one I came upon by accident.  Drink either Perrier or Seltzer water...the bubbles wash away the mucous

The whole trrick for dealing with allergies is to stop it before it starts...so start the nasal spraying when you come in and feel a tickle at the back of your throat.

Does it work?  I had one student with horrible larnygitis.  I told her what to do and the next day she came to class completely cured.