From:
Katherine Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:05:12 EST

the link between thyroid and gluten intolerance/celiac came up on a parenting
list.  One of the mom's posted this to me privately, with permission to post
here.

bring it on:)  I've also emailed her the link to the archives so she can
search graves there.

:)
katherine in atl
<<Hi Katherine. I mentioned to my mother what you said about GI and
thyroid/Graves issues. To my surprise, she was not as close-minded as I
expected. She did say something to the effect of "But I've eaten wheat
my whole life, but only had Graves for a few years". I said I thought
that the Graves could be the cumulative effect of the gluten.

Anyway, she said she would ask her doc about it at her next visit. I
think it is probably safe to say he won't know anythting about it, tell
her that isn't it and brush it off. She will then say, "Nope, it's not
GI, doc says so." I did warn her that her doc probably wouldn't know
much about it. She did say she was open to looking at and showing her
doc anything I might be able to find for her.

So........ what I am wondering is if you could point me in the right
direction in re to GI research. I have followed many of your threads on
the topic (I have a niece and sister with BIG IBS issues!), but find the
info. overwhelming. I pick up and understand bits and pieces. I want to
tackle the issue, but don't know where to start. Can you give me some
starting points and any pointers? My Mom has been SO sick with this over
the last 3-4 years. Docs say she has one of the toughest cases they've
ever treated. They just can't seem to get her body back in balance
again. nothing has worked well. She even had a few visits to the Mayo
clinc.

Thanks for anything you can offer.>>