From:
Jack O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:54:33 -0600

Thank you to all. There were 19 replies to my post: "reaction to cookies
and crackers."

I am reacting to the gums (guar gum and other gums she uses) in the
cookies

Culprit for the shortbread could be the butter; not sure what's in the
crackers. It is also possible also to get sensitized to rice if you are
eating a lot of it.................

Possibly you are allergic to something in these products.
Could it be soy? Eggs? Milk?

I haven't reacted to their cookies or crackers, but I haven't tried them
because I became HORRIBLY ill after eating their breads! A few others from
this list shared the same experience with the bread--I don't know what they
are using--maybe a chemical preservative--but I am highly sensitive to it.
Let me know what you discover!

Read the labels for guar gum. That could be causing your problem. Xanthan
gum seems to be okay for me, but guar gum isn't.

Jack, I have not had a reaction to Pamela's pecan shortbread and have never
used the Ener-G crackers as our resources are very limited. Hope you soon
identify the source of your reaction.
I am especially interested in your name - my great,great grandmother's
maiden name was O'Brien in New Brunswick, NJ. It is like looking for a
needle in a haystack. You don't have ancestors in NJ do you?

I would suggest you to ask your question at this other excellent site:
Delphi CD Forum Support Group: http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start
There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, doctors included.
Moreover, I have posted thousands of GF recipes, among them my "Best of
Mireille": http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.2
We also have Gluten-free Product lists, updated about every 3 months.

I think with me many times it is the xanthum gum in baking that upsets my
stomach/bowels!!!

Hi. I have reactions to other brands of GF crackers and
cookies, so I don't eat ANY GF crackers nor ANY Glutano
Lemon Creme GF cookies any more. I think maybe some
cross-contamination may occur. Then again, it could be
something in each product. It would take the mind of a
computer to figure out things.

I use Pamela's for when I need to make a crust for a pie. Never seemed to
have a problem and I use them maybe 4 times a year.

I really can't eat any of the gluten-free cookies and crackers without some
problem. I've stopped wondering why and just avoid them. I should learn how
to make my own crackers.

Nope, no problems with any of Pamela's products.

My son and I eat those crackers almost daily with no problem. The
cookies I've had her other kinds but not the pecan. I'm thinking I may
have reacted to them, but it's been awhile. There are so many kinds of
cookies that are way better. You might want to try Gluten Free Delights.
We like theirs a lot and also make our own from gf recipes and from
Gluten Free pantry mixes.
I cannot eat Pamela's things because of the cross contamination

Do either or both of those products have soy or canola in them? A friend
who is celiac says those two things make her extremely ill.