From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:29:35 -0500

Went to Lundy's Bros. Restaurant in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn....today. Was once a grand old huge seafood house, very famous landmark. Reopened, refurbished, in 1996 after 10 years of abandonment.

Gave the waiter gluten-free dining card from Living Without, and he took it back to the chef without a hint of discomfort.

I was able to order one of the specials of the day...  Chilean Sea bass dish on top of white beans in a tomato/lobster ragu. (I could never duplicate it myself, and I do try.) It did cost $26.99. Lundy's is not cheap. But worth the stop, if you're traveling either east or west on the Belt Parkway. There were other options I could have had, but all in the $20 range. That does not include salad or beverage.

The chefs do the cooking in view of the diners. The aromas were heavenly. Music was mostly early rock and roll...probably because this place is memory lane for Baby Boomers.

Due to the price, I'd only go on special occasions, but it was very enjoyable. On a nice day, give yourself time to walk along the bay where smaller commercial fishing boats and recreational fisherman come in with their haul and call out to passersby to buy the fish right from the Atlantic Ocean.

Lin