From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:14:51 PDT

Comments from Don Kasarda, Albany, California

I wrote the following reply before seeing the post by Jim Barron.  I agree
with his comments and will add my own even though they duplicate what he has
said.

The kicker in this description (which is copied after this message) is amino
acids and low molecular (weight?) peptides.  Even though most gluten
proteins contain at least 250 amino acids linked together like beads on a
string, peptides resulting from breakdown of gluten proteins that contain
even 14 amino acids linked together have been shown to be toxic in celiac
disease.  In order to say that the soy sauce was not harmful to celiac
patients, it would be necessary to show that the low-molecular-weight
peptides produced from gluten by the hydrolytic action of the various
enzymes do not include any remaining peptides with 14 amino acids or more.
Furthermore, if any peptides of 14 amino acids or more remain, then amino
acid sequencing would be necessary to determine whether or not they might
fit with known toxic sequences.  Of course, quantities would be important. I
have some doubt that minute quantities (below a certain level of daily
intake) of potentially harmful peptides are worth worrying about by most
celiac patients, but other scientists may disagree.  Technically speaking,
however, I would be mighty surprised if soy sauce produced from wheat did
not contain at least some harmful peptides derived from the breakdown of
gluten.