From:
Heather Raskin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:46:21 EDT

I got a lot of responses asking me to let them know what I found out.  Well,
this is what I found out.  I emailed Coke, and their response in below and
several list members offered their 2 cents as well.  Sorry it couldn't be
more conclusive, but this is the only info I got.
-Heather

I was wondering if the slurpee's at 711 made with Coca-Cola products have
gluten in them.  I am gluten intlerant, and so are 1 in every 200 American's.
 I would love to be able to enjoy a slurpee again.  Gluten is anything
derived from wheat, barley, oats, and rye, it could be in anything from
stabilizes to flavorings.  Please let me know.

Thank you for your recent email message, Ms. Raskin.  We appreciate this
opportunity to respond.
Please be assured that in the U.S. and Canada our products are gluten-free.
We hope this is helpful.  Please let us know if you have any additional
questions or comments to share.
Sabrina
Industry and Consumer Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company

Icee's (Wawa's version of Slurpee) have been my saving grace since being
diagnosed.  I can have them with no problem and they satisfy my sweet tooth
(not as much as cupcakes, but..oh well)

From what I understand, if the syrup is from a manufacturer that has GF
beverages like Minute Maid or coke or such, then the slurpee or icee is gf
but I would check it out just the same.  My daughter has had the Burger King
frozen Coke and Minute Maid cherry with no problem.  The same thing for Icee
too.
I was at 7-11 the other day and noticed that all the slurpees are from
Coca-Cola Corp.  It may be beneficial to contact them as long at 7-11
doesn't add anything to the syrup.  I have spoken with Coca-Cola and was
told that all of their soft drinks are GF.  But it's always worth double
checking since they acquire new companies, etc.  Now, if any of them are not
GF then you need to consider there may be a cross contamination issue if
they move one flavor to another place.