From:
Brooke Cortelessa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:24:04 EST

Hey everyone,
I am 24 years old, and was recently diagnosed with Celiac. A
Gasterinterologist I saw for the first time in Dec. of 2003 diagnosed me
with Celiac in Jan.
of 2004. My PCP was concerned that I have been anemic since the age of 10 and
no one had told me the reasoning behind it. She did several blood tests but
could not figure out what was wrong. She also found blood in my stools and
referred me to the this Gasterinterologist. He immediately wanted to do
both the
Colonoscopy and an upper procedure where they went down my throat (I can't
remember what it is called). During the procedures, they did a biopsy b/c
he said my
small intestine was inflamed. The next day I had horrible stomach pains, and
never before the procedures had I felt this type of pain. I went to the Dr.
and he preceded to tell me I had a Duodenal Ulcer. Then he wanted me to
schedule
the Barium Swallow and an upper GI. I hope I am remembering the names
correctly. I did this at a separate hospital. Basically I swallowed tons of
barium
and a drink a substance like alka-seltzer. Then I swallowed more barium and he
had to wait for it to travel all through my intestines. The Dr at that
hospital
said he did not see any ulcer. That afternoon and all through the night, I
had the most wretched pains in my abdominal area. I almost went to the ER. The
next day I went back to the Gastro. He then proceeded to tell me I have CD.
Here is why I am lost.
My whole life I ate bagels, cereals, sandwiches, soup, cookies and crackers
constantly. I was a carb-addict. No one in my family has CD. Why would I just
now have this? And I did not have these symptoms until after the
procedures! It
is bizarre, I know, but why would I react after the procedures?
I was OK the first month eating GF. But after that, I gained 10-15 pounds. No
matter what I eat, I feel bloated, gassy, just very uncomfortable in my
abdominal areas. I really am questioning the diagnosis. I think I can have
IBS. Why
would I have the constant bloating and discomfort after eating GF?
I know this is a long email to get through but I am very confused and in a
lot of pain. I appreciate any help an ideas in this matter.
Thank you in advance!
~Brooke