From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 20:14:26 EST

I concocted a sauteed spinach recipe tonight that looks and tastes gourmet
and is a breeze to make. Amounts don't have to be exact.

Put in large fry pan:

3 tbs. butter or substitute....olive oil would work well...
3 cloves garlic, smushed and diced 1 medium onion sliced or diced about
5 oz. (a handful) of cleaned, sliced button mushrooms (any edible kind is
o.k.).

On medium heat, melt butter or heat oil...stir garlic, mushrooms, onion...to
coat and cook till soft. (I was aiming at carmelized, but never got there.)
Add about 4 oz. of dried tomatoes (julienne style) in olive oil (comes in
jar). Let some of the oil go into pan too. Stir.

Add washed, drained spinach leaves (I tore them apart, but not into tiny
pieces.) Add about 1 tbs of sugar...scant, not heaping. Stir. Cook on
low-med. heat until spinach wilts.  Stirring helps the flavor.
I added salt and pepper, both before and after the spinach.

This makes a generous side dish serving for two, or use it as a topping for
baked, broiled, or grilled chicken or fish...then it should work for four
servings. (We had it with broiled Chilean Sea Bass.)

Optional suggestions that I'm going to try next time...add wine to the pan
when putting in the spinach. Pine nuts would also work.

You hardly knew it was spinach.

Let me know if you try it.

Linda