Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 10:18:52 -0400

Hello:

Sorry for the delay in the summary of my responses with my question
regarding Whey Powder.

I thank all of you who responded.

The general consensus is that whey powder is the protein portion of dairy
products, therefore a milk product containing lactose. It is wheat and
gluten free. The manufacturer could have added something to the whey powder
as well, so it is best to check with them directly.

Here are some of the responses I received:

Whey is GF.  I drink Designer Whey Protein Drinks everyday with no problem.
The company guaranteed it is GF.

Whey is the protein portion of dairy products (ex: milk).  If it is a pure
form of whey protein then it is gf.  You should check to see if there is any
added ingredients to the whey protein you buy and in that case it may have
added gluten in it.  Hope this helps.

Whey is the liquid portion of curds & whey.  The curds are better known as
cottage cheese. When the curds are further aged they become cheese.  Whey is
a by-product of cheese making, and in dairy country it is difficult to get
rid of.  Sending it to the sewage treatment plant causes problems with the
treatment process, so people keep trying to find uses for it.  Some
companies spray it on fields for fertilizer, some places dry it out and use
it in all kinds of products.

It should be GF, but you need to call the manufacturer regardless. Be aware
that  whey can have lactose mixed in, which some celiacs are sensitive to.
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, whey powder is simply dried whey, similar to
powdered milk, which has had all the water content removed. Thus, it would
be wheat and gluten free (but NOT lactose free!) as long as nothing has been
added to it.

That is not to say that a manufacturer might not decide to add something,
like wheat flour or starch, to "improve" the taste or texture or to make the
ingredient easier to use or cheaper or something. I haven't heard of this
happening with whey powder, but if in doubt, call the manufacturer.

Whey powder is what's left in milk after they remove the water, fat &
protein.  It is where you will find almost all the lactose contained in the
milk, however, so those who are lactose intolerance will need to avoid that
as well.

If the only ingredient is whey, then yes, it is gluten free.  Whey is a milk
protein-  remember little miss Muffet? The other milk protein is casein.