From:
Manny Strumpf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 11:23:29 EDT

Sorry for the delay in reporting on our recent trip to Hawaii.  The islands
are a great place for eliacs.  We had no problem whatsoever at all of the
restaurants we visited. Listed below are our own experi ences. Our comments
are based on  this experience and we have no vested interest inor axe to
grind with any of them.

First:  Flew to and from Honolulu via Continental and Northwest Airlines.
both couldn't be nices re: my GF meal request. The food not only was
delicious and appetizing but also tasted fine considering it was airline
food. Would recommend both airlines for anytime.  Our only concern was with
one dinner that included two slices of bread.  It was tighly sealed in
plastic wrap so there was no contamination.

Honolulu:

Nick's Fishmarket, 2070 Kalakua Ave.  Food was good but the waiter made us
nervbous pacing back and forth.  Salmon was fine but this place was pricey,
$82.18 for two dinners and one drink apiece. Not worth it.

Shore Bird Broiler on Waikiki Beach.    Don't leave Honolulu without visiting
this place.  Huge salad bar and you cook your own steak, fish or chicken on a
huge grill. We asked for fresh utensils so as not to contaminate our meal and
they were quick to respond.  They explained thke grill was so hokt that no
glutenc ould survivie on it.

Prices very reasonable.  There is immediate seating or if you wish to sit
overlooking the beach there's a 10-15 minute wait. We went there twice.

IslanderCoffee House.  247 Lewers St.   For a quick dinner and inexpensive,
they were able to provide a GF meal and we didn't have to go into too detail
as to our needs..

LaMariana.  Beautiful atmosphere but a hit out of the way.  Located at 80 San
Island Access Road, near Honolulu Airport, be sure to bring a camera at
sunset for a phnoto with the sky and boats in the backgrounmd.,Prices
moderate.

Don Ho's Restauant also was vbery accommodating.

Maui:

Just outside the airport is Down to Earth Health Foods Store. It is a must
but you must look for it as it sits unobtrusivel,y ont he right side of the
road to on your way to LaHaina.   Great selection.  Stocked up on GF breads
and other assorted goodies. Prices reasonable and staff helpful.   And they
accept VISA and Master Card for those of you accumulating frequent flyer
miles.

Leilani on the Beach. 2435 Kaanaapali Pkway in Lahaina.  Nice atmosphere,
good food, decent prices and our waiter was great.

Moose MKcGillicuddy's Pub, FrontStreet in LaHaina.  Pretty good for a quick
and moderately priced meal. No atmosphere but the food was good.

Outback Steakhouse, 4405 Honoapilani Hgy. in LaHaina.  No probleml getting a
good meal.

Roy's Kahana  4405 Honoapilani Hgy.  A bit pricey but the food was excellent,
the wait staff couldn't be nicer, and the atmosphere really conducive to
relaxing.

Enjoy.

Phyllis and Manny in Milford, CT