From:
Barbara Emch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 19:38:25 EST

Hi Everyone,

I received six replies regarding my posting on the Dumping Syndrome, which
causes a variety of symptoms in people who have had stomach surgery, such as
nausea, crampy abdominal pain followed by diarrhea, a feeling of warmness,
dizziness, weakness and fainting.  Others break into a cold sweat and their
pulse races.

I commented that these symptoms were my predominant abdominal symptoms before
I was diagnosed and put on the diet and I was wondering if anyone else had
similar symptoms.  One individual said that she had similar symptoms such as
sweating, dizziness, and heart rate fluctuation and since going gluten free
about eight months ago, her heart has been much calmer.  Another individual
actually had 14 abdominal surgeries and all the symptoms were as I described
them and lying down would help somewhat as well as glucose tablets.  Another
individual had the same symptoms with the addition of anxiety and panic
disorder (which got 100% worse after having his gallbladder removed) and he
also has thyroid disease.  After a year on the GF diet, he is much improved
but the anxiety remains.  One individual commented these were all her symptoms
before being diagnosed with Celiac and her doctor actually thought she was
crazy and told her it was just her nerves.  It still happens occasionally if
she eats large portions.   Another individual said it still happens to her
when she makes a mistake and the last individual thanked me for solving a long
time mystery for her.  Her symptoms were fever, chills, diarrhea, vomiting and
a fainting feeling with a sky high pulse.  Her doctor never determined what
caused it but at the time she attributed it to a medication she was taking for
a bladder problem.

It was nice hearing from others who had similar symptoms before being
diagnosed.  It's funny how I lived for 20 years with a misdiagnosed rash and
these odd intestinal symptoms and never dreamed what it all meant.  I think
sometimes we just figure, "oh,  that's just me" and we just live with it.  I
can't thank my very progressive skin doctor enough for finally diagnosing me
and putting me on the gluten free diet and also this wonderful listserve and
the many Celiac web pages that have given me so much useful information.

I must say, also, I believe because of the internet, the word is finally
getting out about Celiac and soon there will be no one who has not heard of
Celiac disease.  I've noticed, especially, when I call manufacturers, they
seem to know what I'm talking about and I attribute this to their getting a
lot more calls.

Thanks for listening,

Barb from NE Ohio