From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:19:42 -0700

Summary 1 of Lectins and Health focused on information about lectins
and other possible causes of our daughter's ongoing health problems and
increasing food sensitivities despite religiously following a
gluten-free diet.  This part of the summary includes approaches that
were suggested as helping folks with similar kinds of problems.

Thanks everyone!

Jackie in AZ

POSSIBLE APPROACHES TO TAKE
(1)  Strict elimination diet.   Eliminate everything from the diet
except a really benign item.   If there is no reaction after 2 or 3
days, then add a new food for three days, and keep a list.  The minute
there is a reaction pull that food item.  It is always a good idea to
never eat a food for more than three days, so that you won't develop an
allergy.  Things are really confusing when multiple allergens are
there, because sometimes you seem to react to one thing when you'r
having a delayed reaction to another.

(2)  Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

(3)  A really good blended probiotic like iFLORA available from
www.sedonalabs.com  On this my daughter's food allergies have become a
lot better and her digestive problems improved.

(4)  You might consider doing breads with coconut flour, bean flours,
chestnut flour, quinoa flour.  Don’t expect your bread items to taste
the same or be the texture of wheat breads.  In my experience we can
get used to almost anything if we give ourselves about 6 weeks to
adjust.  Make quinoa, buckwheat, sorghum, millet  salads instead of
sandwiches.  It can be a whole meal with the grain, protein, veggies
and salad dressing.  Take soups and stews instead of depending on
sandwiches.  Experiment with making flat breads.

(5)  Use the pulse method to detect food problems and/or a practitioner
that uses the Computron (read about it in a book titled “Diagnosis
Unknown” by Randy Smith).

(6)  Diagnostic Testing to Determine Why your daughter might have food
allergies:

·       Stomach Acid levels (Heidelberg test or kinesiology
testing-some Naturopaths do this)

·       CDSA (Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis

(7)  Immediate Treatments

·       Digestive Enzymes (breaks the food into smaller particles and
results in decreased  probability of food reactions).  If a person does
not need this, there is no harm in taking them anyhow.

·       Ketotifen Fumarate -  reduces  inflammation while diagnosis is
being sought.

·       Probiotics

(8)  Sprouting grains degrades lectins, makes them easier to digest.
I'm doing much better with sprouted brown rice (less gas).  Haven't
tried to sprout dried beans (also high in lectins), though I do know
people who do.

(9) Try supplements to heal widespread deficiencies, probiotics to help
with gut flora imbalance, an elimination diet to identify problem foods
and help heal the gut, and, finally, a diet and supplement program to
address fungi, bacteria, parasites, viruses, and toxin issues, as well
as lymphatic congestion and liver dysfunction caused by those issues
and celiac disease.  Less than 6 months after I went on the final diet
and supplement program, I was able to reintroduce most of the foods I
was intolerant of without a problem, I had no more gastric reflux, acid
stomach, etc....  I found that the joint pain and headaches were
actually caused by lymphatic congestion.  I was able to cure those,
too, tho that is ongoing with me and I must continually still work at
keeping my lymphatic system working properly and can slide into
problems again if I let my diet, exercise, or water consumption slip or
if I am in contact with any sort of toxin or allergen.  My body just
had too much toxic waste to jetison and so my lymphatic system was
floundering.  My liver detox pathways were also not functioning.  My
lymphatic system required so much nutrition that it left my adrenals
starved for nutrients and I fell into adrenal exhaustion also.

(10)  Try goat milk kefir.  The microorganisms in kefir did wonders for
my gut & really dampened my allergic reactions.  I've been GF for 6
years now & have been on one cup a day of kefir for about 3.  I can now
eat anything I want -- within moderation.  If I over do my most
offensive foods such as eggs, cow's milk, I pay for it, but generally
speaking, "I have come a long way, baby."

Kefir contains a lactobacillis strain (sorry, I've forgotten the name
of it) that is known to be essential to a normal functioning immune
system system & reduce food allergies.   To learn about kefir, search
the web for "Dom's kefir."  Dom has the most complete non-commercial
discussion on kefir you will find on the web.  He'll answer your
questions about kefir made from alternative milks & juices, etc.

(11)  Kirkman Laboratories vitamins and minerals, including their
magnesium oxide.    (Read Krispin Sullivan's page on magnesium,
too.)  We've noticed a big improvement with that, and also with fish
oil for vitamins A & D.   We avoid supplements with other added
ingredients.