From:
Kristine Renee Penner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 07:41:56 -0700

My sister went gluten free around 5th or 6th grade when I was diagnosed,
and went from somewhat pale and sometimes sickly to a very healthy, tan
complexioned (sp?) girl.  She had reactions when she got gluten, etc. After
her freshman year of college, she did a gluten challenge where she ate
gluten for a week or ten days or something and then had a biopsy. She
came out clear, and thus went back to a normal diet.
        My mom said that she had read literature that siad that during
that age frame - puberty, late adolescence - the test will come out
clear, but damage is still occuring.  Could someone please explain if
this is true?  How can the damage be occuring and not show up on the
test?  I don't want to scare my sis with the cancer thing, but if it is a
legitamate concern (as well as the osteoporesis sp?) then I want to let
her know, cuz she thinks my mom exagerates all this stuff.
Kristine
Stanford, CA