From:
Toni Alley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:20:02 EST

Note that this information is about soy sauces available in the US.  I am not
familiar with labeling regulations, ingredients and brand names that might be
common in other countries.

Sorry for passing along misinformation.  I received a post from another list
member indicating that LaChoy soy sauces have been moved to Abigail Neuman's
list of products that are no longer GF.  In the future I will double check
her list before sharing information from it.  Here's what she says about
LaChoy soy sauce:

***
La Choy Soy Sauce and Lite Soy Sauce contains: hydrolyzed vegetable protein:
MAY CONTAIN TRACE AMOUNTS OF GLUTEN. And contains: distilled vinegar made
from wheat or corn; may contain trace amounts of these grains. (Per letter
from Hunt-Wesson) (Unsure of product. Have received conflicting information
on the status of this product.)
***

It seems that the phrase MAY CONTAIN TRACE AMOUNTS OF GLUTEN is often used by
manufacturers when they aren't sure and/or don't want to be accountable for
those who supply their ingredients.  It was on Abigail's OK condiments list
when I started the diet about four years ago and I've never bothered to check
again because I haven't had any trouble with it.  I say I haven't had any
trouble specifically with the regular LaChoy soy sauce because I do use it
regularly and don't get the specific skin and digestive symptoms that I still
get from what seems to me like the smallest exposure to gluten.  I even wear
a bandana over my face when making cookies and such for the gluten eaters in
my household.  They jokingly refer to me as the baking bandit.  I guess there
is enough airborne flour before ingredients are completely mixed that I
inhale it and ingest it that way.

Anyway, back to the subject of soy sauce, I noticed that Kroger's brand
regular and lite soy sauces are still on Abigail's list and yet another of
our listmates sent me a post indicating that "San-J wheat free Tamari is by
far the best. In fact many think it's the best of all the soy sauces anyway."

On the subject of changing ingredients in processed foods and manufacturers
not being willing to say definitively whether or not a product is GF, it
makes me consider rethinking the whole idea of processed food again.  It's so
difficult to keep up with what's OK and what's not in a world where things,
especially food ingredients, can change so quickly.

Ironically, just today I received two bottles of regular LaChoy soy sauce
from my mom in Texas.  I just moved to Washington state and hadn't been able
to find it here, so asked her to send a supply.  For now I'm going to
continue using it -- with caution -- since I've been successful with it in
the past.  Will let you know if I develop any difficulties.

Toni.