Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:41:10 -0400

I called Melissa's this morning about their Clean Snax.

This morning, the guy had no idea and said he'd call back, but no-one did. So I called again. This time, I got a woman who said it's rice malt, and she concurs that most processed foods that contain malt...when they just say malt", as theirs does...is barley. And agrees about how her label reads. Their label just says malt, separated by commas from other ingredients.

Thanks for the couple of people who reminded me that even sorghum can be malted. I bake with sorghum flour, but don't eat (or drink) it otherwise. So I forgot.

And yes, isomalt is made from beets...as another sugar. This wasn't isomalt.

As to the woman who took it as an offense (and attacked me) because I posted an alert until I could confirm the source....I have no answer.  I hope the rest of your day is less stressful.  Posting an early alert could stop someone from getting sick, and also gives others a chance to voice if they already knew the product is safe. We've been doing it since the listserv started.

Continue to read labels. Continue to post alerts. We all need a second pair of eyes!

Sent from my iPhone
*******
*******