Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 08:25:51 -0500

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac Sprue, I stopped taking the communion
wafer, however, did have the wine, until someone pointed out that many in the
church dip their wafers into the wine thus "contaminating" the wine for me.
 When I approached the Rector of St. Columba's here in Washington, D.C.
 (Episcopal) he told me that he would be happy to have my homemade wafers
though he would have to think about the logistics, i.e., which service did I
attend, etc.   What follows is the recipe given to me by the Washington
Celiac Support Group:

/R Communion Wafers

Turn on oven to 350 degrees

2 Tblsp. potatoe starch
1 Cup minus 2 Tblsp. (7/8 cup) cornstarch
3 Cups brown or white rice flour
1 Tsp. baking soda
1 Tsp. salt
2 Tblsp. Xanthum Gum
1/2 Cup Margerine
1 Cup Buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together.

Cut Margerine into dry ingredients.

Add Buttermilk and mix with fingers until workable.

Roll with rolling pin on a rice floured surface as thin as possible.

Cut in small circles-- use bottle caps.

Place in a 350 degree oven for 6 minutes.  Will NOT brown.

This recipe can be halved unless you have a very large family; will be enough
for a year.

Sarah Barnett
Washington, D.C.