From:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:01:45 -0700

Dear Listmates -
I have no financial interest in any of these products.
My husband recently showed me an article about parabens (methylparaben, propylparaben, etc.) in moisturizers, anti-wrinkle products, costmetics, deodorants, etc. and the relationship to cancers.

Parabens have been found in 6 out of 10 breast cancer biopsies, and are now also implicated as a cause of squamous cell cancer.

Unfortunately, they are in almost every cosmetic item a person can buy at Walgreens, Savon/Osco, CVS, and other stores. The exception is just a few products on the shelves, and, of course, paraben-free products labeled paraben-free at health food stores and at vitamin and health stores online.

I believe the article he showed me, because I already had one episode of a squamous cell pre-cancer, a somewhat dark patch, raised, rough, and scaly, below one eyebrow, two years ago. After reading this article recently, I started examining what I use daily:

Kinerase contains parabens. Trader Joe's 99% pure Aloe Vera gel contains parabens. Jane Be Pure makeup (I was using blusher, face powder, eye shadow) contains parabens. My facial moisturizing cream contains parabens. Eucerin CoQ10 contains parabens. Various brands of "natural" mineral makeup contain parabens, even those that are supposed to be good for your skin.

I was shocked. I decided to switch to Ecco Bella eyeshadow, powder eyeliner, etc. I already use their lipstick. No gluten, and no parabens. Real mineral makeup. There are other brands of more natural, paraben-free makeup out there, too. It is best if it is also phalate (right spelling?)-free. There is a problem with that ingredient, too.

To save money, I went online to Froogle, which is owned by Google
(www.froogle.com), typed in Ecco Bella, and hit the search or go button. That brought up many of their products, with a text box with a drop-down arrow that I could click on, so that I could click on Sort by Price, Low to High. I checked Amazon, too, which works the same way.

That got me places online that sell Ecco Bella products for 40% or 45% less than retail, which makes the switch more affordable. I don't know if BeautiControl is paraben-free and phalate?-free, but have seen the brand mentioned on our list as gluten-free.

For a facial moisturizer, wrinkles, dryness, etc. I am switching to DermaE. I bought the Avocado and Vitamin E cream. I called the company, and all but two products (don't recall the names, but the two products aren't anything I would normally buy). Their producgts are gluten-free and paraben-free and don't contain junk.

They have a variety of face creams on their website (www.dermae.com), and contact information. Their stuff is very gentle.
I will find out what the two products with gluten are, when I have time,
or you can call the company and ask.

There is also basal cell carcinoma on both sides of my family (both parents had it on face and neck repeatedly). It is safer to use paraben-free products, both to lower risk of skin cancer, and lower risk of breast cancer (as compared with using parabens), even if it costs a bit more than some brands at Walgreens and Savon/Osco.

-Vicki in Illinois