From:
Karen A. Van Dahlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 13:09:59 -0700

Here's my reply from Atkin's nutritionals. Anyone know anything about
glutamine peptides?

Thank you for your inquiry.

 All of the Atkins Syrups and Ready to Drink Shakes are gluten-free.

The following Atkins Advantage Bars are gluten-free: Almond Brownie,
Chocolate Coconut, Chocolate Macadamia Nut, Chunky Peanut Butter, Chocolate
Peanut Butter, Chocolate Raspberry and Banana Colada.  The Praline Crunch,
Chocolate Mocha Crunch and the three flavored Breakfast Bars: Cherry Almond,
Lemon Poppy and Blueberry Pancake are not gluten-free due to the soy
'crunchies'. The four flavored Atkins Shake Mixes are not gluten-free,
primarily due to the use of glutamine peptide in the Lipo-ProTM protein
blend.

The Brownie, Blueberry Muffin, Pancake & Waffle Mixes are not gluten-free
due to the use of Wheat Gluten.

The Atkins Bake Mix by definition is gluten-free, even though oat fiber is
listed on the Nutrition Facts panel.  According to the FAO/WHO, "products
containing greater than 0.30% (300ppm) protein from wheat, rye, barley, and
oats, etc. should not be labeled as gluten-free."  Products with 0.02-0.03%
(200-300 ppm) gluten are "borderline gluten-free", while those products
containing less than 0.01% (100 ppm) gluten are considered gluten-free.

The oat fiber that we use in our Atkins Bake Mix is purchased from Canadian
Harvest (Cambridge, MN) as Snowite 300.  This Snowite 300 product is an
extract of the oat hull, which botanically speaking is a modified leaf.
Based on studies performed by Dr. Bruce Hamaker at Purdue University, the
Snowite 300 product has gluten levels of 800 ppm.  In our Atkins Bake Mix,
Snowite 300 is formulated at a 5.5% level, which dilutes/drops the maximum
gluten content of our mix to 88 ppm.   Thus, this level is below the 0.01%
(100 ppm) level required to allow a gluten-free claim.

We hope this information will be helpful to you. If you still need further
assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again, or contact our Customer
Support Department by phone at 1-800-6-ATKINS, Monday - Thursday 8 am to 7pm
EST and Friday 8am to 6 pm EST. If you are calling from outside the U.S. and
Canada, please reach us at 631.738.7370