From:
Jane Noga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 00:45:05 -0500

Yesterday I had a biopsy.  I found it an unpleasant procedure, not
helped in the least by my tense and defensive nature.  The doctor says
my intestine appears normal, and from the picture she gave me I'd have
to agree.  I didn't see any of the scalloping or dry river bed type
cracks.  We still await the histology report.

Having extremely positive bloodwork for CD and an apparently negative
biopsy is very unnerving.  And so far as trying to get a doctor to
change the way he does a procedure, I've yet to meet one who has taken
kindly to a patient telling him how to do his job.

 I guess I need to have my skin biopsied and see if this rash really is
dermatitis herpetiformis.  I would appreciate anything anyone could tell
me to make the relationship between CD and DH clearer to me.  My doc
says you can have DH and not CD, I didn't know that.

I have a biopsy set for the 16th for my eleven-year-old son who is IgA
deficient, has ADD and has had abdominal pain and headaches forever,and
had an IgG reading of 40.  I had told myself that this was enough
evidence to justify suspicion and since he was IgA deficient a biopsy
was the only way to know if he had CD.  Now I feel he could have the
biopsy, get a false negative and be worse off than before.  I'm
struggling with the idea of canceling the biopsy for him.  I'm beginning
to think it's not worth dealing with if you don't have proven
malabsorption.  I'm so discouraged.