From:
Sherill Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:22:31 -0800

Regarding the message from "graham" about her child's stomach aches,
"Wheat allergy", and the doctor saying the child was just being manipulative:

When I was a child my parents were told by their doctor that I was fussy but
fine, and that they were just over-protective and inexperienced parents.
By the time the doctor took my condition seriously, I was almost dead
from malnutrition and kidney infection, caused by......Celiac Disease!
 I was hospitalized for weeks. I obviously pulled through, but the trauma of
 it is still with me nearly 50 years later. I wish my parents had been able
 to be more assertive with the doctor, or find another one.

Graham, don't let a doctor's put-down stop you from pursuing your
child's future. After all, if the doctor is wrong, he's not the one who will
have to suffer for it.

Sherill Roberts
McMinnville, Oregon