From:
"Mary W. Ferland" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary W. Ferland
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:44:13 -0500

Thanks to all who responded. As with everything each person has to evaluate
whether it is OK or not.

1. I have asked guayaki http://www.guayaki.com/ before if their mate is
GF. It is. I love the stuff. It is really, really, strong though. And it is
a taste that you have to get used to, especially if you drink it from the
gourd thingie.  It is basically the coffee of western South America.

2.  My husband drinks it everyday with the traditional gourd and "bombeja"
straw.  When he drinks it daily he rarely gets sick.  It has excellent
qualities.  I'm sure that if you put it into the google search engine you'd
get lots of info on its properties.  Our friend lived in S. America for a
while and brought it to us.  It's bitter but you get used to it.  Has a bit
of a laxative effect if you drink it the right way (about 1/4 cup mate with
tepid water poured over it - steep for several minutes.)  The tea bags can
hardly deliver the chlorophyl, etc. that is so good for you.  The "caffeine"
like properties are not negative (metainne?), but still somewhat
stimulant-like.  Overall, an excellent tea for health!

3.  This is a tea that has traditionally been drunk in Latin America,
especially Argentina. It is very bitter. You can buy the loose leaves,
which require a special cup, also called a mate, and a metal sieve/straw
combination, called a bombilla.  You can also buy this in tea bags,
which are steeped like any other tea.  The loose leaves make a much
stronger brew.  Mate contains a substance similar to caffeine, called in
Spanish mateina.  It is a diuretic, appetite suppresant and stimulant
like caffeine, and a very good one.  It doesn't give you the jitters
like caffeine can, and I think that the effects last longer.  If you
have a sensitive stomach or digestive system, you should not drink mate,
as it will probably not sit well with you. There is no reason it should
contain gluten. I studied in Argentina and was introduced to mate there.
I used to drink it very frequently, but now I have stomach
problems(completely unrelated to the mate) so I can't.

4.  High in caffeine, extremely high, used by South American (Mexican?)
soldiers on long marches because it sort of shrinks the stomach, making
you feel full on less. Don't know about how it might help, otherwise.

5. I ran it by a few Chinese herbal doctors who did not want me to take it.
I also found it on a list of herbs that are toxic to the liver (an extra
sensitive organ for us).

6.  I love the mint one over ice. Can't drink it too often though as it
gives me a huge buzz.

7.  It's a stimulant--it contains caffeine, or a closely related substance.
Don't know if I'd call that a "tonic" exactly, but it will keep you awake.
It is neither good nor bad for our health, at least no more than caffeine
if used in moderation. I used to drink Celestial Seasoning's Morning
Thunder, which is a 50/50 blend of black tea and yerba mate. I don't use it
anymore, primarily because I've backed off to exactly one cup of tea or
coffee at breakfast, and no stimulants later in the day.