Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:55:34 -0500

What to do with a negative biopsy is a common issue that comes up on
the list.  One of the issues that contributes to this is that many
gastroenterologists conclude there is no problem with wheat if a biopsy
comes back negative.  This is an incomplete view for several reasons.

- Biopsies may be misread by the pathologist, either due to orientation
of the biopsy on the cuts or from not calling abnormal specimens that
are not classic in appearance.
- The biopsies may not be from the right area of the duodenum.
- There may not have been enough pieces submitted.
- The patient may not have been on gluten long enough.
- The patient may not tolerate wheat for reasons other than celiac
disease.

The last is an issue that many forget.  It is possible to have a food
allergy and not have celiac disease.  Food intolerance to soy, corn,
pork, beef, and eggs are pretty common.  One can be intolerant to wheat
as well, but just not be celiac.

If a patient is biopsy negative (with the caveats above recognized) and
serology negative (and not IgA deficient) then the patient is not
celiac.  The person may still be better off wheat, but there is not the
risk of other autoimmune disease, lymphoma, osteopenia, and
malnutrition that is present in patients with Celiac disease.

I advise such patients to reduce wheat to eliminate symptoms, in
contrast to celiac patients, who need complete elimination of wheat
from the diet and medical followup.

More to the point of the question asked by the poster, if a question
exists to the diagnosis the first step would be to review the original
slides from all the biopsies.  Check HLA-D type, and, If questions
still exist, go back on gluten for a month to get symptoms and redraw
serology and redo the biopsy.

This problem comes up so much in patients diagnosed with possible
celiac disease, that good biopsies and blood tests are recommended so
that confusion that there is no confusion later on the strength of the
diagnosis.  It is unfortunate to have to do a gluten challenge when the
full diagnostic studies could have been done initially.

Stephen Holland, M.D.