From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 07:03:45 -0700

I received the following note and to tell you the truth I am glad I
don't get a lot of support in this manner.  My giving up message to the list
was more to inform one lady of the fact that yes, things can get better as
she sounded quite overwhelmed. I thought many of the list members who had
children and at times felt like giving up would benefit from the fact that
they are not alone.  I really didn't expect a response like this one.

Maybe you didn't mean to be harsh but boy you came across as very condescending.

>Where did you get the idea that it is OK for you to handle gluten?  It is not
>OK!  Nor should you be serving gluten to guests in your home.  When we have
>company they all know that they will be getting a gluten free meal!  I serve
>gluten free bread items  and have no gluten in our home.  If I want
>gluten...I EAT OUT.  Contamination is a real problem for celiacs.  i.e. You
>should not be using the toaster for both types of bread.

Where did you get the idea that it is not okay to handle gluten?  None of my
doctors have ever said that I can't.  Our chapter of the Canadian celiac
association has not said I can't.  That is who I listen to.
I also have two toasters is the house, on separate counters that are used
for separate bread types, one for GF, one for non-GF.  I aslo don't only
serve gluten to guests in my home I serve it to the 3 family members that
are not GF.  If guests happen to come on a GF meal day, which is most often,
they get GF and always comment on how "normal" it tastes.  I do NOT have
gluten flour in the house but yet I do have gluten spaghetti, bread, Kraft
Dinner, etc.  When I make Schnitzel, I use rice flour and GF bread crumbs
and the whole family eats that.

When I make french toast, we use two fry pans, two spatulas.  When I make
the spaghetti, I use two pans to cook and two colanders to drain.

>Maybe you could do something else for your son's next birthday besides taking
>him to MacDonalds where he could watch everyone else eat something he could
>not have.  I assume that you did not feed him the french fries which are not
>gluten free!  There is nothing more disappointing for a celiac than sitting
>and watching everyone else enjoy a meal that they cannot have.  It is tough
>enough for an adult much less a child.

Do you think I am so sensitive a mother as to do what you suggested I did,
make my son sit and watch everyone else eat at HIS birthday party.  Maybe
check out the list info before you say something as assinine as this, as in
Canada Mcdonalds french fries are Gluten Free and they are cooked in only
oil for the french fries, nothing else is done in the same oil.  And by the
way it was his choice to go.  Sometimes we take a bun along but he mostly
prefers his burger - no bun.  I also either make all the birthday cakes for
the family or special order one from Dairy Queen with only Strawberry
filling, no fudge or cookie crumble.  I only have to give them two days
notice.  The rest of the family also get GF birthday cakes.  I even made a
Schwarzwalder Kirsch Torte or Black Forest Cherry Cake GF for my non-GF
husband so we could all enjoy it.

>Guests/relatives who make fun of the disease should try sticking to the diet
>for a few days.  Shame on them!  They would not be invited to my home a
>second time.
>
>Finally,  you don't have to spend every waking hour cooking.  There are a lot
>of places that you can order wonderful gluten free cookies, bread, pastas
>etc.  I would be pleased to send you that info if you would like it.

I have more than enough info on buying stuff.  I live in the same city as
Kinnikinnick foods which is a gluten free shop.  My problem is the expense,
yes I cannot afford approximately $4.00 for one loaf of bread let alone
allowing the entire family of 5 to eat from the GF loaf.  Maybe you can
afford this, I CAN'T.

I also enjoy the fact that I have perfected some recipes to the point where
non-GF family and friends don't know the difference if they are eating GF or
NOT.  Friends have been coming to our house on Boxing Day for eight years.
Three years ago we went GF, that year it was noticeable that my Boxing day
turkey dinner was different, but now they have to ask if it's still GF.
That is what makes me feel good that I have supplied something that my son
and I can eat and noone knows that they are eating "special food" just by
the taste.  They know they are eating special food to accommodate my son and I.

>I didn't intent this as harsh as it probably sounds.  I get very upset when
>my husband suffers and know how hard it is to live with this terrible
>disease.  The good news is that you know how to deal with the problem
>...there are so many out there with incurable afflictions that would be
>delighted if they could "fix" them with diet.
>
>Please write if I can be of assistance.

With the type of assistance you provided I do not wish to ask for anymore
cause yes I try the best I can for myself and my son, but I do not have
unlimited resources.

I thought I was doing a very fine job until I got this post and it really
made me want to cry.

Thanks for the picker-upper to start my week.

Karen Bulmer - St. Albert, Alberta