Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:44:45 -0500

I recently asked if anyone knew if Progresso's 99% fat-free cream of mushroom
and/or cream of chicken soup was gf.  Here is a summary of the answers that I
received.  Thank you to everyone who posted back to me!

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
The local Albertson's started stocking several Progresso 99% fat-free cream
soups over the holidays.  They list as ingredients modified corn starch and
rice flour - all GF as far as I can tell.  They taste fairly decent, and I
had no symptoms from eating them.
_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

I've given up finding a cream soup for recipes,but I've found a preprepared
cream sauce that works pretty good.  I found Contadina Light Alfredo Sauce in
the refrigerated section of grocery stores near fresh pasta.   They also make
a non-light one, but I don't recall that it was GF.  The light one is
thickened with rice flour!  I can't verify no cross-contamination, but I
haven't had a problem and I use it for macaroni & cheese, swedish meatballs,
sauce for cauliflower, and yep, even for pasta!!
_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Ener-G Foods in Seattle, WA,  has a gf cream of mushroom soup.  It's item #
7061 and it comes in either .87oz for $0.81 or a case for $6.83.  They can be
reached at 800-331-5222.
Have you tried an alternative for recipes?  I use a mixture of 1part mayo,
2part sourcream, dash of lemon juice and buttermilk ( to desired
consistantcy).  It's not
bad.
_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Instead of can soup I use theMochiko's sweet rice flour with skim milk.  It
works better for me instead of corn starch.

It is the 99% Fat Free Soups that are GF
Here are two:
   99% Fat Free Creamy Mushroom Chicken
   99% Fat Free White Cheddar Potato
The first is fine. The second, I have a can of it but have not tried it yet.
My local grocery used to carry a Cream of Mushroom from Progresso that was
also GF...It was not of the Fat Free variety.