From:
"Angela M. Barca" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:52:03 EST

Hi everyone!
It is amazing how after I let Avon know how I felt about their first
response, and that I was forwarding it to all of you,  they were suddenly
able to "Track down" their ingredients"  Their lipstick, BTW is NOT GF for
those of you who didn't know!
The following is what I wrote to them and then their response!

Dear Avon:
It is is too bad that your company policy is not to "Track down" its
product ingredients.  With Celiac disease most likely affecting 1 in 133
people
in the US, I suspect as awareness grows, you will be losing some customers.

Perhaps that might change your policy.  I will be forwarding your response
stating that you can not identify your ingredients and therefore not assure
those with allergies of your product safety to a national Celiac LISTSERV
with quite a large membership.

(read on for their response....changed their tune a bit!!!!)

Thanks for emailing us here at Avon. We always want to hear what you
have on your mind.

Here is some additional informaton on gluten-free products:

Avon VitAdvance Nutritional Supplements (with the exception of
VitAdvance Hair
Care from Within) are gluten free.  Avon SlimWell Chocolate Frosted
Peanut and
Brownie Crunch Balanced Meal Bars and Balanced Meal Shakes are also
gluten-free.

While supplements and food products are fairly straightforward,
other Avon products present a challenge.  The more obvious ingredients
such as wheat proteins found in some of our shampoos and lipsticks would
rule out
their use by celiacs.

The alcohols used in our products (e.g., benzyl alcohol, cetearyl
alcohol,
SD alcohol) can be derived from a grain source.  Avon cannot verify the
source of the alcohols used in some of our products as our vendors
cannot provide us with this information.

We hope we've helped you. Please keep an eye on our website. We're
always trying to improve it for you.