From:
Cecilia McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:23:59 -0500

My question was:

Hi !  For those of you who have CD and lactose intolerance, What do you
use the place of milk when baking?  Soy milk? Rice Milk? Lactaid?  What
works best?

Well the number one suggestion was Lactaid, but I got the following
e-mail, so I will have to check that out:

I use the homemade, 24 hour, lactose-free yogurt (full strength or
diluted with water) or applesauce or coconut milk in my recipes.
Lactaid is loaded with chemicals and, I think, also contains gluten.
The yogurt is really great and restores the good bacteria in the "gut"
to aid in digestion and healing.  Please order and study BREAKING THE
VICIOUS CYCLE . . . it will change your life!

The number 2 reccommendations were:

Dari Free  available from http://www.vancesfoods.com
Rice
Soy

These sites were suggested:

http://www.panix.com/~nomilk/

Also, this other excellent site:
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages/
and ask your questions.

There are knowledgeable and understanding people there .

There is Abigail's Gluten-free list, and I have voluntarily posted
thousandsof GF recipes.

Any of the ones you mentioned in baking ... but not in cooking things
like pudding and such. The substitutes don't have teh same properties as
real milk.  I think lactaid may be a better bet for those cooked
things.For a cake I may even get more creative with my liquids  a la the
Cake Doctor book.

you can use just about any liquid...including water... aside: why not
work on the lactose intolerance by building up your gut ...take 1-
glutamine capsule and 1 pro-biotics complex with each meal...glutamine
is anamino acid and the complex heals the gut.  Two drs suggested this
to me and withinsix months..no li..

Also suggested were:

Carnation Instant Milk
Non Dairy Creamer
Almond Milk

One person said they did not bake at all anymore and to stay away from
sugar.  I don't think that is an option for me.

The baking I want to do is not for me, but for a friend my son has met
at college.

Thanks for all your responses.

Cecilia, TX